Old 21-08-2005, 12:04 AM
WaltA

Variously it was written:
I could also add that the observations from previous
centuries are quite good enough in quality to debunk the theory
that there is a single predominant cycle.

Quite. I favour Velocette, but others like Triumph...

I read on teletext today that some ladies are cycling around england on
Harley-Davidson bikes.

I wasn't aware that they made bicycles!
Alan

I wasn't aware that they made bikes !
( motorised armchairs, more like)
mallards

Bring back my trusty Comet and Rapide ,, I wish,,,,sigh,,,

PS Those ladies must have strong legs then, not to mention the thighs
and,,,

Old 22-08-2005, 06:31 PM
WaltA

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:23:23 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
Variously it was written:
I could also add that the observations from previous
centuries are quite good enough in quality to debunk the theory
that there is a single predominant cycle.
Quite. I favour Velocette, but others like Triumph...
I read on teletext today that some ladies are cycling around england on
Harley-Davidson bikes.
I wasn't aware that they made bicycles!

I bet they have some thised thighs if they pedal them.
I wasn't aware that they made bikes !
( motorised armchairs, more like)
mallards

Bring back my trusty Comet and Rapide ,, I wish,,,,sigh,,,

Ah. Now you're talking. I hanker. (Though my Shadow was all packed with
Lightning internals...)

Great stuff ! My Rapide had a Shadow inside, but outside I decided not
to add a Shadow 'clock', nor badges, cos it might have attracted
unwelcome 'admiration',

swoon

Old 22-08-2005, 08:13 PM
WaltA

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:29:17 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
AFAICR there were no differences between the Shadow's internals and the
Rapide's.

choke of carb for one.
ummm, mist of time,, was it inch&1/8 for R and inch&1/4 for S ( or
perhaps it was inch&1/4 vs. inch&1/2 ?)
Compression ratio as well ( or was that just a progression of time
thing ? After all, I had just upgraded from an HRD. (as in HRD not
HRD-Vincent)
Hmmm, I may think of more, like wheel sizes varied quite a bit from
time to time and model to model ,,,,
Are 19" tyres still available I wonder, they were difficult to get
hold of at one time.

(Dammit, my Vincent book is still in store...)

All mine also, as are a lot of my old braincells :-(

Rapide was billed as a 'tourer' and the Shadow as a 'sports model'.

Exactly, I ref. hon. gent. to my post earlier about mudguards. gert
heavy steel things with skirts on the R.

Old 22-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:29:17 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

AFAICR there were no differences between the Shadow's internals and the
Rapide's.

choke of carb for one.
ummm, mist of time,, was it inch&1/8 for R and inch&1/4 for S ( or
perhaps it was inch&1/4 vs. inch&1/2 ?)

Dunno - the Shadow/Lightning had GPs you could crawl down.

Compression ratio as well ( or was that just a progression of time
thing ? After all, I had just upgraded from an HRD. (as in HRD not
HRD-Vincent)
Hmmm, I may think of more, like wheel sizes varied quite a bit from
time to time and model to model ,,,,
Are 19" tyres still available I wonder, they were difficult to get
hold of at one time.

Yes. The series D Shadow had a 2·25" × 20" front IIRC

(Dammit, my Vincent book is still in store...)

All mine also, as are a lot of my old braincells :-(

Rapide was billed as a 'tourer' and the Shadow as a 'sports model'.

Exactly, I ref. hon. gent. to my post earlier about mudguards. gert
heavy steel things with skirts on the R.

Well, the Black Prince had those. In fact, now you come to mention it,
mine was originally one of those enclosed thingies, later Shadowised
with ally guards, etc, then stuffed full of goodies.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/