Old 22-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Registered User

Location: Hounslow
Default Non Stringy Runner Bean

Can anybody recommend a variety that is slow to go stringy.
__________________
JT
Old 22-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:26:53 +0000, fixerman
wrote:

Can anybody recommend a variety that is slow to go stringy.

Desiree is stringless, as are most beans if you pick them young.

Pam in Bristol
Old 22-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Bob Hobden

"fixerman" wrote

Can anybody recommend a variety that is slow to go stringy.

What variety are you growing?
Not letting them get too old are you, pick them before you can see beans
(lumps) in the pods.
Desiree (white flowered, excellent), Lady Di (red flowered, OK), Fergie
(red, excellent if you can get them)...

--
Regards
Bob

Old 23-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Registered User

Location: Hounslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden

What variety are you growing?
Not letting them get too old are you, pick them before you can see beans
(lumps) in the pods.
Desiree (white flowered, excellent), Lady Di (red flowered, OK), Fergie
(red, excellent if you can get them)...
I'm growing a variety called "Painted Lady". Very colourful bi-colour red and white. I have an abundance because I could'nt resist planting the whole packet all over the flower garden. It is very tasty but seems to go stringy very quickly.

On your advice I shall try "Desiree" next year.

Many thanks Bob and Pam!

JT Hounslow
__________________
JT
Old 24-08-2005, 12:16 PM
pammyT

"fixerman" wrote in message

Bob Hobden Wrote:

What variety are you growing?
Not letting them get too old are you, pick them before you can see
beans
(lumps) in the pods.
Desiree (white flowered, excellent), Lady Di (red flowered, OK),
Fergie
(red, excellent if you can get them)...

I'm growing a variety called "Painted Lady". Very colourful bi-colour
red and white. I have an abundance because I could'nt resist planting
the whole packet all over the flower garden. It is very tasty but seems
to go stringy very quickly.

On your advice I shall try "Desiree" next year.

Just pick them young and freeze them. I did exactly what you did and have a
profusion of runner beans. The tempation is to leave them to get big so you
get more but picking young encourages more to grow anyway and as others have
said, no strings :0)
I have carrier bags full of runner beans in the freezer and I'l enjoy them
right through until next year and remember the glorious sunny day when I
picked them....oops....hang on.....that was a memory from 2 summers ago :-(
On a related subject. I made the first batch of plum jam last night to use
up my plums, plus on my way to the chicken food places, found a whole load
of victoria plum trees on a verge so picked about 10 lbs of them. Plum jam,
plum pickle and plum cake on its way cos I'm starting to build my winter
hoard.

Old 25-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Registered User

Location: Hounslow

That's a great idea. How do you freeze them? Do you have to blanche them first?

Sounds like yo have a "plum job"! Sorry! I just could not resist it.
JT

Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
yucky green stringy moss SNC Ponds 6 12-06-2004 12:02 PM
Green stringy algae and what to do about it John Worfin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 06:23 AM
How do I get rid of stringy green moss in my Koi pond? RoundRide Ponds 2 10-03-2003 05:08 PM
Green stringy algae and what to do about it John Worfin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 16 20-02-2003 11:21 PM