Old 26-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Theo Markettos

Default Use for tomato flowers

I have some Gardener's Delight tomatoes which I planted in the ground and
seem to have gone a bit mental while I was away for 2 weeks earlier in the
summer. Each plant has sent up about half a dozen main stems from ground
level and produced about half a dozen flower trusses on each one. It's
probably helped by the drainage being so good that water drains faster from
the small pot I've sunk next to them than you can pour with a watering can.
They also get the washing up water on them.

Given the way the weather is looking, it's unlikely that those flowers that
are still open are going to have time to ripen, so I've removed them. Which
leaves me with a large pile of tomato flowers. Is there any culinary use
for them?

Theo
Old 26-08-2005, 11:04 PM
pammyT

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
[...]

I have a feeling they are poisonous since the tomato is the same family as
the potato and deadly nightshade etc.

Old 26-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
pammyT wrote:
"Theo Markettos" wrote in message

Which
leaves me with a large pile of tomato flowers. Is there any culinary use
for them?

I have a feeling they are poisonous since the tomato is the same family as
the potato and deadly nightshade etc.

It is not a family to fool with, and it is common for some parts of
plants in that family to be edible and other parts deadly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Theo Markettos

Nick Maclaren wrote:
It is not a family to fool with, and it is common for some parts of
plants in that family to be edible and other parts deadly.

Thanks. Compost it is then :-)

Theo

What climbing vines/flowers to use on pillars at front of house???? Biglarry Gardening 5 13-02-2012 08:05 PM
Use of tomato food JMS United Kingdom 3 27-07-2010 01:08 PM
Tomato blossom set hormone - how to use? [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 26-04-2009 04:05 PM
Anyone use manure? What is the best mix and ratio to use? Allen Smith Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:21 AM
Cement to use/not to use around pond? IanQ Ponds 2 06-03-2003 09:52 AM