Old 29-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Registered User

Default Tree Change

Hello, I am looking for some advice please.

We moved into a residential area a couple of years ago. At the end of our garden are 4 eucalyptus trees. Behind the trees there are two more houses. I got the trees cut back last summer as they were blocking the light from our neighbours, but they have now grown to over 25 feet tall again and again the neighbours light is a concern. Obviously these trees should not have been planted here.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting the trees removed and was looking for recommendations for replacements. Ideally, I am looking for a fast growing tree/shrub that will have a maximum height of 15 feet. It should be evergreen as the primary purpose of the eucalyptus was screening for privacy.

The soil is slightly acid. The site is sunny and frost is not an issue. Any comments would be welcome. Thanks.
Old 29-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Charlie Pridham

--
ksieve

Maybe worth trying a large shrub like Eleagnus or Pittosporum as it least
they can be easily reduced in height in the future and is going to remain
more effectively evergreen at lower height.
I have not personally come across any evergreen trees that grow quickly then
stop at the right height but will follow the thread with interest in case
anyone else has :~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 30-08-2005, 12:57 AM
Andy

"ksieve" wrote in message

[...]

Fast growing trees that stop at a convenient height are rare. I have an
unusual suggestion, it is not a tree but a shrub, one of the evergreen
ceanothus's. I can't sugest a particular one, altough I have the ideal one
growing in my garden. It is woody and looks like it could be trained as a
standard tree. It has reached 10 feet in 2.5 years. I bought it as
'Ceanothus Autumnal Blue', but it flowers in
spring, and instead of the advertised height of 8 feet, it shows no sign of
slacking off. I read that some of the evergreen Ceanothus's can reach 15
feet, so I imagine that I have a mislabelled plant. It has quite large
leaves for an evergreen Ceanothus, not the usual tiny fingernail sized
leaves, but two or three times longer than that.
Make sure you get one that doesn't mind our winters. Otherwise have a look
at shrubs, some of them are very much like trees and may met your
requirements.

Andy

Apple tree leaf colour change. Joe McElvenney United Kingdom 3 10-07-2004 11:08 PM
fish change colors ? John Q. Ponds 2 19-11-2003 02:02 AM
when to fertilize? After water change? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
co2 DIY slowing down...when to change bottle? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
No PH change with DIY CO2 Jim Miller Freshwater Aquaria Plants 24 21-02-2003 07:16 PM