Old 09-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Joe McElvenney

Default Apple tree leaf colour change.

Hi,

I have a three year old Falstaff apple tree that is growing
quite vigourously but the leaves of the new shoots are changing
colour to a light reddish-brown; not dying or falling off, just
changing colour.

According to Dr. Hessayon's book "The Fruit Expert", it might
be short of a mineral or two. Has anybody any ideas on or
experience of this please? He suggests the application of a
foliar spray such as 'Fillip' but I can't say that I've seen any
of this around. Is there perhaps another product name I should be
looking for?

Thanks - Joe

Old 09-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Les &/or Claire

Joe McElvenney wrote:
Hi,

I have a three year old Falstaff apple tree that is growing
quite vigourously but the leaves of the new shoots are changing
colour to a light reddish-brown; not dying or falling off, just
changing colour.

According to Dr. Hessayon's book "The Fruit Expert", it might
be short of a mineral or two. Has anybody any ideas on or
experience of this please? He suggests the application of a
foliar spray such as 'Fillip' but I can't say that I've seen any
of this around. Is there perhaps another product name I should be
looking for?

Thanks - Joe

How close are you to the coast? The recent high winds have been carrying
salt inland and scorching leaves.

Les

--
http://www.stuffmongers.com

"Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission
natural selection, the force that made us.... Soon we must look deep
within ourselves and decide what we wish to become." Edward O. Wilson
Consilience, The Unity of Knowledge

Remove frontal lobes to reply from a NG

Old 10-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Joe McElvenney

Les,

Thanks for that but I'm in Sheffield, South Yorkshire which is
almost as far from the sea (~80 miles) that you can get in this
country :-(

I have two three year old apple trees and I seem to remember
that last year the other one showed similar symptoms although not
quite as noticeably. Since then I have cleared the area round it,
to allow a winter feed without the grass getting to it first, but
haven't yet done that with the one having the reddish leaves.

Cheers - Joe

Old 10-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Douglas

"Les &/or Claire" wrote in message
Joe McElvenney wrote:
Hi,

I have a three year old Falstaff apple tree that is growing
quite vigourously but the leaves of the new shoots are changing
colour to a light reddish-brown; not dying or falling off, just
changing colour.

According to Dr. Hessayon's book "The Fruit Expert", it might
be short of a mineral or two. Has anybody any ideas on or
experience of this please? He suggests the application of a
foliar spray such as 'Fillip' but I can't say that I've seen any
of this around. Is there perhaps another product name I should be
looking for?

Thanks - Joe

How close are you to the coast? The recent high winds have been carrying
salt inland and scorching leaves.

Les
http://www.stuffmongers.com

******

Good thinking!. I live within sight of the Irish sea and get that, - quite
mildly, - sometimes.
But nevertheless I would suspect certain minerals are missing from the soil.
I wouldn't go for the leaves, I would attend to the roots. Do you feed the
roots at all?. I use simple Phostrogen in water and spread bonemeal
(frugally) now and then, but an expert would probably know which mineral is
the nost appropriate.
I have a lot of respect for Dr Hessayon and his gardening books .
Doug.

******

"Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission
natural selection, the force that made us.... Soon we must look deep
within ourselves and decide what we wish to become." Edward O. Wilson
Consilience, The Unity of Knowledge

Remove frontal lobes to reply from a NG

Fry- Colour Change timing Peter Breed Ponds 1 15-04-2006 09:38 PM
Autumn Crocus - colour change HC Australia 0 28-03-2005 03:38 AM
Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
Goldfish Colour Change Paul Ponds 5 09-12-2003 08:12 AM
Do leaves change their colour according to the brightness ? Jörg Sczepek Plant Science 5 25-06-2003 04:32 AM