Old 31-08-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Brambles

Hi I only have one Brambles bush and I want it to expand so I get
enough to make jelly dose anyone know how to do that.

Old 31-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Cire

My advice is, DON'T.

Just wait and watch, it will expand at an alarming rate once it is ready
and, unless you are able to contain it, you will wish you had never let it.

They are absolutely taking over my garden and I am quite powerless to stop
them. They are growing at an alarming rate all amongst thick shrubs, on
steep banks, where I can't possibly get at them. Once they start they will
put out long leaders which root and start the process all over again so
that, in a year, one bush can became twenty, ad infinitum!

I can't poison them without killing everything around them; I can't dig them
out because I cannot get into them without cutting other plants down. If
anyone has advice on how ho kill them in this situation, would they kindly
let me know.

Eric

Old 31-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Martin Brown

Cire wrote:

My advice is, DON'T.

Just wait and watch, it will expand at an alarming rate once it is ready
and, unless you are able to contain it, you will wish you had never let it.

Brambles are OK. Thornless varieties with nice big brambles are handy.
The thorny ones make a pretty good robust anti-climbing decoration for a
rough fence. That, rosa rugosa and honeysuckle can fight it out.

They are absolutely taking over my garden and I am quite powerless to stop
them. They are growing at an alarming rate all amongst thick shrubs, on
steep banks, where I can't possibly get at them. Once they start they will
put out long leaders which root and start the process all over again so
that, in a year, one bush can became twenty, ad infinitum!

I can't poison them without killing everything around them; I can't dig them
out because I cannot get into them without cutting other plants down. If
anyone has advice on how ho kill them in this situation, would they kindly
let me know.

Keep cutting them back every time they regrow. Paint the leading new
growth stems with dilute glyphosate. Don't miss. Never let it root down.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 31-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Mike

"Cire" wrote in message
My advice is, DON'T.

or do what I did, build a couple of blocks of flats on the ground:-)) That
stopped the buggers ;-))

Mike

Old 01-09-2005, 10:30 AM
newsb

In article , Mike
writes

"Cire" wrote in message
My advice is, DON'T.

or do what I did, build a couple of blocks of flats on the ground:-)) That
stopped the buggers ;-))

Mike

thinks back
Didn't you know that there are ladies [1] present in this group? Such
dreadful, gutter language...

--
regards andyw
[1] little britainesque or otherwise
Old 02-09-2005, 11:40 AM
pammyT

"Cire" wrote in message
My advice is, DON'T.

Just wait and watch, it will expand at an alarming rate once it is ready
and, unless you are able to contain it, you will wish you had never let

it.

They are absolutely taking over my garden and I am quite powerless to stop
them. They are growing at an alarming rate all amongst thick shrubs, on
steep banks, where I can't possibly get at them. Once they start they will
put out long leaders which root and start the process all over again so
that, in a year, one bush can became twenty, ad infinitum!

I can't poison them without killing everything around them; I can't dig

them
out because I cannot get into them without cutting other plants down. If
anyone has advice on how ho kill them in this situation, would they kindly
let me know.

Use a brushcutter or tether a couple of goats near it. Mine use to scoff
brambles like they were manna from goat heaven.

brambles Lu United Kingdom 12 01-09-2004 09:38 AM
Getting rid of brambles. Zapp Brannigan United Kingdom 21 02-10-2003 01:32 AM
What kind of soil under brambles? anne United Kingdom 5 11-09-2003 12:12 PM
What kind of soil under brambles? anne United Kingdom 1 09-09-2003 12:12 AM
Killing Brambles Barbara B United Kingdom 9 30-12-2002 12:08 PM