Old 02-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Ang Ang is offline
Registered User

Default sweetcorn help neded please

I bought 6 plants from my local garden centre..all went well..and once the tassells turned brown I harvested them. The problem is half the niblets of corn are missing..the ones that are left are really tasty. Can anyone tell me why they didnt all form so I can avoid this happening next year

Thanks
Old 02-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Martin Sykes

--
Ang

You just need more than 6. They're wind-pollinated so you need a decent
clump to get a decent cloud of pollen to ensure full cobs. Plant them in a
block as well - not a row to maximise pollination. I've got about 30 grown
from seed this year and I've still got a few missing bits so you're unlikely
to get full cobs unless you have a field full.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 02-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Alan Holmes

"Ang" wrote in message

I bought 6 plants from my local garden centre..all went well..and once
the tassells turned brown I harvested them. The problem is half the
niblets of corn are missing..the ones that are left are really tasty.
Can anyone tell me why they didnt all form so I can avoid this
happening next year

I plant at least 9 plants in a square, so the wind has a chance to polinate,
but not all of the chucks have complete niblets, sometimes they have a few
missing, not always, just occasionaly, depends upon the weather.

Alan

Thanks

--
Ang

Old 03-09-2005, 06:42 AM

Ang wrote:
I bought 6 plants from my local garden centre..all went well..and once
the tassells turned brown I harvested them. The problem is half the
niblets of corn are missing..the ones that are left are really tasty.
Can anyone tell me why they didnt all form so I can avoid this
happening next year

Thanks

--
Ang

Don't rely solely on the wind shake the top of each plant as often as
possible every day if there is no wind. You should be able to see where
the pollen goes.
Plant in blocks of 5X5 minimum.
Tony Bull
www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk