Old 05-09-2005, 09:20 PM
tenchman

Default Walnuts

Hi Group,

Had a good crop of walnuts this year, for the first time I got them before
the squirrels.

So now I have a dilemma, how do I get the outer skin off down to the shell
for drying, especially without turning the whole neighbourhood black from
the juice??

Is there some form of cleaning method/spray/machine/tool for doing this
tedious task??
Any other information on harvesting and storage would be welcome.

Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to reply.

David

Old 06-09-2005, 07:09 AM
sporty

So now I have a dilemma, how do I get the outer skin off down to the shell
for drying, especially without turning the whole neighbourhood black from
the juice??

These were some of last years, check photo at
http://www.gb-online.co.uk/plant_cen...tos/walnut.jpg

Store them in a greenhouse (protected from squirrels) for them to dry
thoroughly. You need to wait until the skins are really dry and black,
and they will just fall off.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Dwayne

When you store them, lay them out on something so the air can get to them.
If you put them into a bucket or box, they will get moldy and possibly even
infested with maggots. I have seen them laid out in a low spot in a
driveway that is not paved, and driven over for a week or so. Then picked
up and shelled by hand. The inner shells were undamaged and the outer
shells came off very easy.

Dwayne

"sporty" wrote in message

So now I have a dilemma, how do I get the outer skin off down to the shell
for drying, especially without turning the whole neighbourhood black from
the juice??

These were some of last years, check photo at
http://www.gb-online.co.uk/plant_cen...tos/walnut.jpg

Store them in a greenhouse (protected from squirrels) for them to dry
thoroughly. You need to wait until the skins are really dry and black,
and they will just fall off.

How can I sell walnuts? Michael Kohrs alt.forestry 0 21-09-2003 07:23 AM
Walnuts! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 08-06-2003 07:56 PM
Walnuts RandyB Gardening 4 28-04-2003 12:08 AM
stop the walnuts rebecc Gardening 11 16-04-2003 03:20 AM
Strange things happening to the walnuts! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 29-09-2002 10:58 PM