Old 06-09-2005, 11:15 PM
jon

Default Ivy killer

My wife was given a cutting from a neighbours Ivy a couple of years ago and
she planted it near our boundary wall. I asked her not to but she thought
it would cover the bare wall, it did. This year it has gone mad and grown
so well the neighbour is complaining. I have tried many weedkillers but
none have worked.

Could some knowledge person please tell me the name of a weedkiller that
will kill ivy please as I can foresee neighbour problems.

TIA.

Jon

Old 06-09-2005, 11:27 PM
ned

"jon" wrote in message
My wife was given a cutting from a neighbours Ivy a couple of years

ago and
she planted it near our boundary wall. I asked her not to but she

thought
it would cover the bare wall, it did. This year it has gone mad and

grown
so well the neighbour is complaining. I have tried many weedkillers

but
none have worked.

Could some knowledge person please tell me the name of a weedkiller

that
will kill ivy please as I can foresee neighbour problems.

Cut it off at the roots.
In my experience they do not regenerate well from that.
But you may have odd seedlings which require standard weeding out.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 24.08.2005

Old 07-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Brian

"ned" wrote in message

"jon" wrote in message
My wife was given a cutting from a neighbours Ivy a couple of years

ago and
she planted it near our boundary wall. I asked her not to but she

thought
it would cover the bare wall, it did. This year it has gone mad and

grown
so well the neighbour is complaining. I have tried many weedkillers

but
none have worked.

Could some knowledge person please tell me the name of a weedkiller

that
will kill ivy please as I can foresee neighbour problems.

Cut it off at the roots.
In my experience they do not regenerate well from that.
But you may have odd seedlings which require standard weeding out.

~~~~~~~~~
Quit correct. However do not try to pull it off the wall until the stems
are showing signs of death. Also, do not leave it until dead and brittle or
its 'roots' disfigure the wall and are nearly impossible to remove.
Best Wishes Brian

Old 07-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 23:15:09 +0100, "jon"
wrote:

My wife was given a cutting from a neighbours Ivy a couple of years ago and
she planted it near our boundary wall. I asked her not to but she thought
it would cover the bare wall, it did. This year it has gone mad and grown
so well the neighbour is complaining. I have tried many weedkillers but
none have worked.

Could some knowledge person please tell me the name of a weedkiller that
will kill ivy please as I can foresee neighbour problems.

TIA.

Jon

There is a proprietary ivy killer on the market, available from garden
centres. The active ingredient is ammonium sulphamate, which is also
what 'Root-Out' (stump killer) consists of, and is probably a cheaper
buy.

--
Chris

Old 07-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Tumbleweed

"jon" wrote in message
My wife was given a cutting from a neighbours Ivy a couple of years ago
and
she planted it near our boundary wall. I asked her not to but she thought
it would cover the bare wall, it did. This year it has gone mad and grown
so well the neighbour is complaining. I have tried many weedkillers but
none have worked.

Could some knowledge person please tell me the name of a weedkiller that
will kill ivy please as I can foresee neighbour problems.

"a spade"

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 19-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
My wife was given a cutting from a neighbours Ivy a couple of years ago and
she planted it near our boundary wall. I asked her not to but she thought
it would cover the bare wall, it did. This year it has gone mad and grown
so well the neighbour is complaining. I have tried many weedkillers but
none have worked.

Could some knowledge person please tell me the name of a weedkiller that
will kill ivy please as I can foresee neighbour problems.

TIA.

Jon
Its been a while since you posted this so i guess the ivy is way out of controll by now ?

may i suggest a gallon of cheap n cheerful brake fluid ?
you can dilute it with water and get two gallons ?
or even more water and get 4 gallons !!!
it does not have a mention of being used as weed killer on the can,
but it works fantastically.
other plants will grow back eventually, and it will DEFINATELY kill that flipping ivy !!!

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
Ivy alert! It can be a wall killer [email protected] Gardening 0 03-06-2009 05:55 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Serial killer captured and charged after 30 years of evading police in the number one small city in the USA- Killer confesses to many more killings Knowledge Ponds 0 25-12-2007 07:41 PM
Weed Killer and Ant Killer that is dog friendly Sam Alexander Lawns 3 02-05-2006 09:56 PM