Old 09-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Connor T

Default HazelNuts?

hi,

I want to grow hazel, for both nuts, and maybe ultimately coppicing

So what variety do I need? and do hazelnuts grow on new or old wood? (
consideration when coppicing and trying to maintain a harvest! )

Dan

Old 09-09-2005, 07:42 PM

I suspect that if you either grow for coppicing or for the nuts, I
don't think you can do both as they do fruit on old wood. Not sure of
the variety, but it may well depend on which part of the UK you are.

Mike

Old 09-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Steve

"Connor T" wrote in message
oups.com...
hi,

I want to grow hazel, for both nuts, and maybe ultimately coppicing

So what variety do I need? and do hazelnuts grow on new or old wood? (
consideration when coppicing and trying to maintain a harvest! )

Dan

I've heard, but not tried, the best crop is on 3-4 year old wood, after
coppicing.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Connor T

Ok, thats interesting to know, of all the stuff i've grown, i've found
hazelnuts the hardest to find information on!

So any ideas on suppliers? Will you get some sort of small crop in the
first couple of years?

Old 10-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Martin Sykes

"Connor T" wrote in message
ps.com...
Ok, thats interesting to know, of all the stuff i've grown, i've found
hazelnuts the hardest to find information on!

So any ideas on suppliers? Will you get some sort of small crop in the
first couple of years?

IIRC, the hazelnut or cobnut is corylus avellana. The filbert is corylus
maxima. As far as I know they both taste about the same but on the filbert
the bit around the nut covers it completely. I;ve got corylus maxima
purpurea which is very attractive as a small tree when the sun shines
through the leaves but my harvest has been poor so far in the first two
years. The nuts taste very nice if you harvest them early.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Hazelnuts (when to harvest?) Bob G0KYF United Kingdom 4 23-08-2014 09:10 AM
Hazelnuts in the South Maryc Edible Gardening 7 21-06-2005 09:50 PM
hazelnuts Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 7 20-01-2005 10:03 AM
Hazelnuts abner Gardening 1 06-09-2004 08:43 PM
hazelnuts form seed sasha United Kingdom 0 02-09-2004 01:08 AM