Old 13-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Malcolm Stewart

Default Strimmer - petrol or electric

I'm normally an "electric guy" when it comes to powered garden tools, but
this morning I tried handling a petrol strimmer (the TrimMac), and it seemed
better balanced than the large and heavy electric strimmers. Apart from the
price, are there any downsides I need to be aware of?
And, why is the similar TrimMac with an extra brushwood blade around double
the price? (Same size engine, 25cc, which I would have expected to be the
major part of the pricing.)

Thanks
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old 14-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Chris Bacon

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
I'm normally an "electric guy" when it comes to powered garden tools, but
this morning I tried handling a petrol strimmer (the TrimMac), and it seemed
better balanced than the large and heavy electric strimmers. Apart from the
price, are there any downsides I need to be aware of?

No-one's replied to this, so: not that I know of.... they are much
better than electric ones... mind the bark on shrubs, or you'll have
it off (ooh-err!), and don't use it on Sunday!

And, why is the similar TrimMac with an extra brushwood blade around double
the price? (Same size engine, 25cc, which I would have expected to be the
major part of the pricing.)

Dunno. These engines are produced in great quantity, and cost what
would have been unbelievable 20 years ago.
Old 14-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Malcolm Stewart

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
... mind the bark on shrubs, or you'll have
it off (ooh-err!),

With the amount of growth I'm faced with, that seems like a very good idea!
Whilst the growth rate of my "lawn" grass has been acceptable, or even slow,
this last summer and is easily controlled, it seems as though other more
woody items have really got their roots well down into what can only be very
fertile and warm clay (or something).

And, why is the similar TrimMac with an extra brushwood blade around

double
the price?

Dunno. These engines are produced in great quantity, and cost what
would have been unbelievable 20 years ago.

Have since done some more searching, and I think I'll visit a professional
outlet before deciding on a purchase as the brushwood option seems
important. (A flame thrower might be what I need.)

Cheers,
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK