Old 14-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Registered User

Default Please Help!

i have cherry tree in back garden and it is in a corner and it has a yellow powdery powdery fungus growing on it with large yellow inflations(bubbles) i have not seen any signs of insects so i think it might be a disease and the inflations are not filled with anything is this just a problem that i have ?because i cannot find anything about it on the internet
Old 15-09-2005, 11:19 AM
newsb

In article , Gov1
writes

i have cherry tree in back garden and it is in a corner and it has a
yellow powdery powdery fungus growing on it with large yellow
inflations(bubbles) i have not seen any signs of insects so i think it
might be a disease and the inflations are not filled with anything is
this just a problem that i have ?because i cannot find anything about
it on the internet

Sorry can't help. But, off topic, it might be worth telling the
gardenbanter owners that their punctuation stripping process isn't
working at 100%. Somehow, a question mark has sneaked through

--
regards andyw
Old 15-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Bob Hobden

"Gov1" wrote ...

i have cherry tree in back garden and it is in a corner and it has a
yellow powdery powdery fungus growing on it with large yellow
inflations(bubbles) i have not seen any signs of insects so i think it
might be a disease and the inflations are not filled with anything is
this just a problem that i have ?because i cannot find anything about
it on the internet

Sounds a bit like the Honey Fungus I had on an Apricot tree but I hope not
for your sake. I'd need to see a photo to make sure but probably best if you
search for photos on the internet.

Informed articles on the disease......

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ney_fungus.asp

http://www.hdra.org.uk/factsheets/dc19.htm

and a very interesting and thought provoking article on
treatment/prevention.....

http://www.webmesh.co.uk/experiment1.htm

--
Regards
Bob

Old 15-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from newsb contains these words:

Sorry can't help. But, off topic, it might be worth telling the
gardenbanter owners that their punctuation stripping process isn't
working at 100%. Somehow, a question mark has sneaked through

:-)

Janet

Old 18-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Registered User

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1...tree3il.th.jpg
this is what it looks like and i have just seen that certain bits of leaves are black.
Old 18-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Registered User

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1...rrytree3il.jpg
sorry this might be a better one
Old 18-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:55:25 +0000, Gov1
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/cdxgd
sorry this might be a better one

Bottom left looks to me like scorch where the sun has burned the leaf
through drops of water.

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:55:25 +0000, Gov1
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/cdxgd
sorry this might be a better one

Looking again, are the blackened leaves really green? If so, the black
is sooty mould. Is the tree infested with aphids? Aphids drop sticky
honeydew and the black mould grows on the honeydew. In that case treat
the aphids first. The leaves will soon be dropping anyway, so don't
bother too much this year but watch for aphids sooner next year.

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

Bottom left looks to me like scorch where the sun has burned the leaf
through drops of water.

Sun can't burn the leaf through drops of water - 's against the laws of
physics.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 18-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

Looking again, are the blackened leaves really green? If so, the black
is sooty mould. Is the tree infested with aphids? Aphids drop sticky
honeydew and the black mould grows on the honeydew. In that case treat
the aphids first. The leaves will soon be dropping anyway, so don't
bother too much this year but watch for aphids sooner next year.

Not uch use me looking ATM as my box is only working on 16-color - until
I get down to downloading the driver for my video card.

Scale insect also produces honeydew stuff which goes black and mouldy. I
had an avocado treelet which was infested, and the wasps were constant
visitors - until I sprayed the tree with garden insecticide. (Sybol)

Worked a treat. I gave it another dose to be quite sure, but never saw
another scaleything. I'm about to treat a friends small citrus tree with
it - it looks as if it was wet, and engulfed by a sootfall.

Old 18-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:30:37 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

Sun can't burn the leaf through drops of water - 's against the laws of
physics.

But it can and does! That's why you shouldn't water in bright
sunshine, though sometimes the sun comes out too soon after rain and
the same thing happens.
Have you never burned a piece of paper by focusing the sunlight with a
lens? The drop of water acts as a tiny lens and burns the leaf.

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-09-2005, 02:14 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

wrote:

Sun can't burn the leaf through drops of water - 's against the laws of
physics.

But it can and does! That's why you shouldn't water in bright
sunshine, though sometimes the sun comes out too soon after rain and
the same thing happens.

Sorry - it can't, and it doesn't. The refractive index of water isn't
sufficient to concentrate the sun's rays that impinge on the centre of
the droplet significantly enough to raise the net amount or intensity of
light above what it would be without the droplet there.

Some light is reflected away externally, some is reflected internally
and is scattered, and some absorbed. The net result of it is to diminish
the amount of light, not intensify it.

Have you never burned a piece of paper by focusing the sunlight with a
lens? The drop of water acts as a tiny lens and burns the leaf.

Yes. The refractive index of glass is far higher than that of water, and
how far from the paper do you have to hold the glass? To get a similar
effect, the droplets would have to be much further away from the leaf.

The burning of leaves by sunlight on droplets is a long-established fallacy.

Old 21-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Pam Moore

wrote:

Sun can't burn the leaf through drops of water - 's against the laws of
physics.

But it can and does! That's why you shouldn't water in bright
sunshine, though sometimes the sun comes out too soon after rain and
the same thing happens.

So how is it, that all leaves and plants growing in the open, are not
a mass of burns from sun on raindrops? Why is it that the paintwork of
houses, and cars, is not pitted with a zillion burns from sunrays
through raindrops? Why is it quite safe to walk in rain followed by sun,
without risk of the painful little skin burns friends happily inflicted
on each other with a lens in science classes?

Have you never burned a piece of paper by focusing the sunlight with a
lens?

Yes, but sunlight on a raindrop falls on a reflective convex surface.
Lenses to ignite paper had to be held the opposite way, and at a
distance from the paper, to fucus the beam, otherwise they didn't work.

So, Janet and Rusty, are you telling me it's Ok to turn the hose on my
plants in full sun, when I have many times heard the advice not to?
Janet, which would you prefer to start a fire, leaves or metal?
Also, in my experience lenses are convex too.
Remember how still you had to keep the lens to burn paper? Walking in
the rain is a bit different?

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

So, Janet and Rusty, are you telling me it's Ok to turn the hose on my
plants in full sun, when I have many times heard the advice not to?

No. But it's got nothing to do with burning. It's the shock of cold
water on warm plant. It *MIGHT* do them some no-good.

Janet, which would you prefer to start a fire, leaves or metal?

Well, metal. Mix some steel wool with something dry and combustible,
strike a spark into it, and watch it go! (Or focus the sun's rays
through a lens on it.)

Also, in my experience lenses are convex too.

Yes, but droplets are globular. Condensing lenses are not.

Remember how still you had to keep the lens to burn paper? Walking in
the rain is a bit different?

Yes, you don't want to keep still while walking. Especially in the rain.