Old 15-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Pam Moore

Default Supermarket basil and coriander

I think this has come up before, but I'd like to share a success and a
failure.
I transplanted a pot of supermarket basil to a 1 litre pot. It seems
to like a lot of water but I only water from below. There are a lot of
roots coming through the holes into the gravel beneath, which I keep
wet. The basil is about 1 foot high!

Coriander I just cannot keep. I buy a pot, cut some of the top leaves
and never get a second cutting.
Has anyone any advice?

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:09:30 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

I think this has come up before, but I'd like to share a success and a
failure.
I transplanted a pot of supermarket basil to a 1 litre pot. It seems
to like a lot of water but I only water from below. There are a lot of
roots coming through the holes into the gravel beneath, which I keep
wet. The basil is about 1 foot high!

PS. This is on my kitchen window sill.

Old 15-09-2005, 02:29 PM
June Hughes

In message , Pam Moore
writes
I think this has come up before, but I'd like to share a success and a
failure.
I transplanted a pot of supermarket basil to a 1 litre pot. It seems
to like a lot of water but I only water from below. There are a lot of
roots coming through the holes into the gravel beneath, which I keep
wet. The basil is about 1 foot high!

Coriander I just cannot keep. I buy a pot, cut some of the top leaves
and never get a second cutting.
Has anyone any advice?

I generally have good success with the supermarket basil but like you
have varying fortunes with coriander. I find thinning the basil helps
but it is easy to grow from seed in the summer and you can obtain
several varieties. As for coriander, have you tried growing from seed?
It works quite well. Which magazine did a tester on growing coriander,
sowing it in spring and again in autumn, a few years ago. I can't
remember the results but the Consumers' Assn should have details.
--
June Hughes
Old 25-09-2005, 11:55 AM
david taylor

I grow them both from seed. Basil plants last all summer, coriander grows
quickly then goes to seed and dies, so I wouldn't expect supermarket
coriander to last.
Regards
David T.
"June Hughes" wrote in message