Old 11-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Nobby

Default Tall and skinny coriander

My coriander in the greenhouse is all tall and skinny with tiny leaves. Not
much use for cooking really. What can I do?
Old 11-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Pam Moore

On 11 Jun 2003 04:06:07 -0500, Nobby wrote:

My coriander in the greenhouse is all tall and skinny with tiny leaves. Not
much use for cooking really. What can I do?

It depends what variety you are growing.
Some varieties are grown for leaves, others for the seed, and these
have finer leaves. Sounds like you have the seed variety.
Cilantro is one well known for leaf.
Look in the seed merchants web sites.

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-06-2003, 11:09 AM
Nobby

I don't know what variety it is, but it did have lots of big leaves on it
when I got it. I ate most of those though

Since it's been in the greenhouse, the stems are much longer with much
bigger gaps between the smaller leaves. It's also a much paler green than
it was.

I was thinking about putting tomato feed on it, but then I read somewhere
that coriander doesn't last long anyway. Maybe I just need a new plant.

Pam Moore wrote in
:

Old 11-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Colin Davidson

"Nobby" wrote in message
My coriander in the greenhouse is all tall and skinny with tiny leaves.

Not
much use for cooking really. What can I do?

It's going to seed, it does that. I find it most convenient to simply keep
planting more.

Old 11-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Colin Davidson

"Nobby" wrote in message
I don't know what variety it is, but it did have lots of big leaves on it
when I got it. I ate most of those though

Since it's been in the greenhouse, the stems are much longer with much
bigger gaps between the smaller leaves. It's also a much paler green than
it was.

I was thinking about putting tomato feed on it, but then I read somewhere
that coriander doesn't last long anyway. Maybe I just need a new plant.

Sew more from seed; it's much cheaper, and it doesn't take long to grow. Do
that every few weeks and you'll have a supply of frech coriander through the
season.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:44 PM
AWM

"Nobby" wrote in message
My coriander in the greenhouse is all tall and skinny with tiny leaves.

Not
much use for cooking really. What can I do?

Sow a leaf variety not one intended for seed.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Liz

Nobby wrote in message
My coriander in the greenhouse is all tall and skinny with tiny leaves.

Not
much use for cooking really. What can I do?

You could try growing Houttuynia (sp?) available in a tricolour form with
red edges. I use that instead of coriander because it's prolific, perennial
and doesn't go to seed, looks pretty and loves shade. Some places sell it
as a water plant, but it does fine in normal soil for me.

Liz

Old 11-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Colin Malsingh

On 11 Jun 2003 04:06:07 -0500, Nobby wrote:

My coriander in the greenhouse is all tall and skinny with tiny leaves. Not
much use for cooking really. What can I do?

As well as the different varieties suggested by others, you might also
want to watch the watering.

Too much water may possibly encourage this.

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)