Old 05-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Registered User

Default Roquette and Coriander

Hi All,

I am a complete amateur and have no idea what I'm doing. I thought I'd better let you know that in advance as any responses really have to be basic enough for my simple mind to understand.

Anyway.... I bought a couple of plastic, oblong containers to try and grow a basic herb garden. Among the herbs I bought was roquette and coriander. 2 of the roquette plants and the coriander plant have turned into mini trees and in both cases I have lost all of the leaves and gained seeds (in the case of the coriander) and seed pods (in terms of the roquette).

Can anyone tell me what has happened? Have I done anything wrong? What can I do to try and get some leaves back on the plants (my cooking is missing them)?

Many thanks in advance.

John
Old 06-08-2007, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
JLMC wrote:

Hi All,

I am a complete amateur and have no idea what I'm doing. I thought I'd
better let you know that in advance as any responses really have to be
basic enough for my simple mind to understand.

Anyway.... I bought a couple of plastic, oblong containers to try and
grow a basic herb garden. Among the herbs I bought was roquette and
coriander. 2 of the roquette plants and the coriander plant have turned
into mini trees and in both cases I have lost all of the leaves and
gained seeds (in the case of the coriander) and seed pods (in terms of
the roquette).

Can anyone tell me what has happened? Have I done anything wrong? What
can I do to try and get some leaves back on the plants (my cooking is
missing them)?

Many thanks in advance.

John

It sounds as if the rocket bolted on you because of hot weather. The
coriander (aka cilantro) and parsley always irritated me when I bought
them from nurseries because they would set seed in the spring and die.
Best to germinate them now and you will have cilantro and parsley all
fall and winter long, if it doesn't freeze. As far as coriander, your
there. The seed of cilantro is coriander. Now al you have to do is grind
it up. Bon appetit.
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 06-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Registered User

So, if I've correctly understood, you're saying I should harvest the cilantro seeds now (grind some down for home use) and plant some of them straight away for new plants for Autumn/Winter?

Can I do the same with the seed pods from the rocket?

Thanks for your help.

John
Old 08-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Registered User

About 20 miles West of London, UK. And you're right - the weather here has been freakishly hot (instead of the usual cold and rain).

Thanks for the tips.

John

Supermarket basil and coriander Pam Moore United Kingdom 3 25-09-2005 11:55 AM
Growing coriander Abso United Kingdom 15 22-10-2003 10:48 PM
Coriander AndWhyNot United Kingdom 8 26-06-2003 07:57 PM
Tall and skinny coriander Nobby United Kingdom 7 11-06-2003 10:56 PM
Prune coriander for more leaves? Frogleg Gardening 2 05-05-2003 09:08 AM