Old 15-09-2005, 09:11 PM
H Ryder

Default petrol mower advice

Our lawn is quite big (say two bits each 40' by 60' plus one bit 20' by
20'). Several gardening friends have told us to get a petrol mower but we
are not sure why. What is the advantage over an electric one? (we have a
long extension lead) Will it be quicker? Should we get a powered one or a
push along one? Also are Mountfield any good (they seemed to be cheaper than
the others) and does size matter? (One other consideration is that I'd like
to be able to use it although hubby woudl do the bulk of the mowing.) TIA
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 15-09-2005, 09:32 PM
shazzbat

"H Ryder" wrote in message
Our lawn is quite big (say two bits each 40' by 60' plus one bit 20' by
20'). Several gardening friends have told us to get a petrol mower but we
are not sure why. What is the advantage over an electric one? (we have a
long extension lead) Will it be quicker? Should we get a powered one or a
push along one? Also are Mountfield any good (they seemed to be cheaper

than
the others) and does size matter? (One other consideration is that I'd

like
to be able to use it although hubby woudl do the bulk of the mowing.) TIA
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Each has its up and its down side. With a petrol mower it will probably be
quicker, because a petrol will be more powerful and therefore able to cut a
greater area. There is a safety benefit in that you won't be able to
accidentally mow the cable, and if it starts to rain you won't get
electrocuted. Keeping the cable out of the way is a pain, you have to keep
repositioning it, and sooner or later you'll drag it across your favourite
flowers.

On the other hand, there is a greater noise issue with a petrol mower, and
the safety issues connected with storage and handling of petrol. Also it
will probably be more expensive initially. They can be tricky to start when
they're not in the first flush of youth.

Personally with that much lawn I would go for petrol, but I'm a mechanic, so
this also affects my choice.

HTH

Steve

Old 16-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Peter Stockdale

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"H Ryder" wrote in message
Our lawn is quite big (say two bits each 40' by 60' plus one bit 20' by
20'). Several gardening friends have told us to get a petrol mower but we
are not sure why. What is the advantage over an electric one? (we have a
long extension lead) Will it be quicker? Should we get a powered one or a
push along one? Also are Mountfield any good (they seemed to be cheaper

than
the others) and does size matter? (One other consideration is that I'd

like
to be able to use it although hubby woudl do the bulk of the mowing.) TIA
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

I wouldn't be without my petrol powered ride-on.
Turns a chore into a hobby.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 16-09-2005, 05:45 PM
shazzbat

"Peter Stockdale" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"H Ryder" wrote in message
Our lawn is quite big (say two bits each 40' by 60' plus one bit 20' by
20'). Several gardening friends have told us to get a petrol mower but

we
are not sure why. What is the advantage over an electric one? (we have

long extension lead) Will it be quicker? Should we get a powered one or

push along one? Also are Mountfield any good (they seemed to be cheaper

than
the others) and does size matter? (One other consideration is that I'd

like
to be able to use it although hubby woudl do the bulk of the mowing.)

TIA
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

I wouldn't be without my petrol powered ride-on.
Turns a chore into a hobby.

You've reminded me, I saw a whizzy little mower like a go-kart a while ago
on telly. Really quick it was. Now if I had the money and the big lawn I'd
love one of those.......

Steve