Old 17-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Registered User

Question Roses from ground to pot

We have three roses that have become rather lanky due to poor light conditions. Advice about what time of year to transplant them into pots would be welcome.
Old 17-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Chris S

--
LauraH

Probably when they are dormant - early spring - you could prune them at the
same time. I did this last year but have had a poor show from the potted
rose - I don't think they like the idea :-) You'd need to pot them up in a
mixture suitable for shrubs, and then remember to water and feed like mad
next year. Hope you have better luck than I did.
Chris S

Old 27-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Spider

LauraH wrote in message

We have three roses that have become rather lanky due to poor light
conditions. Advice about what time of year to transplant them into pots
would be welcome.

--
LauraH

Hi Laura,

I've had success with up-rooting and potting roses on a few occasions. I've
even done it in summer, when re-planning a bed has called for it; in this
case, I've kept the rose in the shade and kept it really well - and
reliably - watered. I'm sure you could get away with it at this time of
year. Use a heavy loam-based compost. If your local supplier's 'Tree and
Shrub compost' seems light, then mix it with John Innes No.2, adding some
bonemeal. Bonemeal is a slow-release root-promoting fertiliser. Do not use
a nitrogenous feed until spring, otherwise the new, soft top growth will be
damaged by frost.

Stand the pot on pot-feet or bricks to help with drainage. Protect the pot
so that frost or icy weather cannot harm the roots. I often do this by
sitting the planted pot inside a larger pot, then filling the gap with
insulating material. The insulation can be anything you've got to hand:
newspaper, cardboard, bubblewrap, horticultural fleece.

You may intend to leave your rose potted permanently. To some extent, this
will depend on the type of rose. I have, so far, only potted up HT or
floribunda roses. I leave them in their pots for at least a year, while the
roots fill the pot, then I replant them in the ground. I've not lost a rose
yet with this method. By comparison, my garden soil to garden soil
transplants have been distinctly dodgy.

Hope this helps.
Spider

Discararded pot plants used as a pot filler? john hamilton[_2_] Gardening 10 22-07-2010 06:43 PM
Roses from ground to pot LauraH Roses 3 19-09-2005 02:20 PM
Chionanthus virginicus - to pot or not to pot? Mike Gilmore Gardening 1 03-05-2004 12:02 PM
silver birch in a pot in a pot Sue United Kingdom 12 04-02-2004 07:43 AM