Old 20-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Capone

Default Weeds and Rubble

I have an area of land beyond my garden that requires a lot of work to
make it presentable. Over the summer, it was full of brambles and
weeds. I've nearly cleared it now, but the ground was full of rubble,
which I've dug up. I've tried to get the roots of the brambles up as
best I can.

By mid-October I hope to turf some of the area, but what do I need to
do to the soil? It's still very stony, and I'm concerned that the turf
won't settle properly, and also that the weeds will start coming
through agin in the spring. Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Old 20-09-2005, 10:59 PM
Bob Hobden

"Capone" wrote...
I have an area of land beyond my garden that requires a lot of work to
make it presentable. Over the summer, it was full of brambles and
weeds. I've nearly cleared it now, but the ground was full of rubble,
which I've dug up. I've tried to get the roots of the brambles up as
best I can.

By mid-October I hope to turf some of the area, but what do I need to
do to the soil? It's still very stony, and I'm concerned that the turf
won't settle properly, and also that the weeds will start coming
through agin in the spring. Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Grass needs good drainage so provided it's not all stones it should be OK.
The brambles will be killed by you mowing should they try to reappear.
I cleared a large area of brambles simply by mowing every week, no digging
at all, and no brambles at all the next season.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 23-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Mike Lyle

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Capone" wrote...
[...]

I wouldn't waste money and effort on turf. It sounds as though you're
going to have a rather bumpy surface, as I'd expect it to settle
unevenly, so I'd just rake it over and sow some grass seed now. Then
in the spring you can start the routine of mowing and some
weed-and-feed, and a bit of spot levelling and stone-picking where
it's needed. It'll be a decent lawn in twelve months if you keep it
up, and with turf it'll take just as long because of the bumps and
the weeds coming through.

If the ground is still settling, turf is the worse option, as you
could end up with voids below: at these points, the turf won't be
able to root properly, so you may get dead patches which will be a
nuisance to deal with.

These funny areas actually turn into lawns in the end if you cut them
regularly even if you don't sow seed: grass is a great invader.
People here say brambles regrow from the roots, but my experience
suggests they don't: I think they grow only from a piece of _crown_
left in the ground (and from seed, of course: that'll happen for a
year or so, but the mower will cope as Bob says). Nettles resist the
mower a little longer, but only as long as there are little hollows
for them to grow low in.

Note that ground which has been covered with brambles for years is
usually in excellent soil-condition because of all the humus they
produce -- swings and roundabouts!

--
Mike.