Old 21-09-2005, 10:15 PM
80/20

Default Melianthus question

I have a Melianthus that has been outside in a sheltered border for about 4
years and stands at 4 feet tall.
I have seen pictures of plants flowering, but mine hasn't even suggested a
flower bud - how long does it take for one to reach flowering age?

Also it is starting to out grow its position, can it be moved safely?

Thanks
Steve

Old 22-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Charlie Pridham

"80/20" wrote in message
I have a Melianthus that has been outside in a sheltered border for about

4
years and stands at 4 feet tall.
I have seen pictures of plants flowering, but mine hasn't even suggested a
flower bud - how long does it take for one to reach flowering age?

Also it is starting to out grow its position, can it be moved safely?

Thanks
Steve

They flower on the stems that over winter so you need to be in a mild place
to see them flower. Mine tries each year but always gets got just before the
flowers open, 3 miles away they flower every year. To be honest the flower
is not worth the tatty mess of old stems you have to put up with.
Moving them? no idea, hopefully someone will have done it, I cant see why
they should be especially difficult.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 22-09-2005, 08:58 AM
p.k.

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"80/20" wrote in
message ...
I have a Melianthus that has been outside in a sheltered border for
about 4 years and stands at 4 feet tall.
I have seen pictures of plants flowering, but mine hasn't even
suggested a flower bud - how long does it take for one to reach
flowering age?

Also it is starting to out grow its position, can it be moved safely?

Thanks
Steve

They flower on the stems that over winter so you need to be in a mild
place to see them flower. Mine tries each year but always gets got
just before the flowers open, 3 miles away they flower every year. To
be honest the flower is not worth the tatty mess of old stems you
have to put up with.
Moving them? no idea, hopefully someone will have done it, I cant see
why they should be especially difficult.

Mine flowered for the first time this year. (London sw19) Not surprising as
this was only the second year I had not cut down the old leaves over winter,
last summer it sulked after being moved but is now happily settling in.
Still not as big as it used to get in its original position but it is drier
and it is settling into a new home.

pk

Melianthus major p.k. United Kingdom 13 07-10-2006 06:24 PM
Melianthus major DavePoole Torquay United Kingdom 0 06-10-2006 09:36 AM
Winterizing Question...Question 1 of x BenignVanilla Ponds 1 08-09-2003 06:22 PM
Moving Melianthus PaulK United Kingdom 0 13-11-2002 12:02 PM