Old 24-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Diane Epps

Default hydranger

Can anyone tell me which variety of hydrangea has bright red colour during
the winter. The ordinary pink ones seem to go a wishy washy brown colour.
TIA
Diane

--
Never drive faster than your angel can fly

Old 24-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:36:19 GMT, "Diane Epps"
wrote:

Can anyone tell me which variety of hydrangea has bright red colour during
the winter. The ordinary pink ones seem to go a wishy washy brown colour.
TIA
Diane

Hydrangeas are deciduous, they drop their leaves in winter. The flower
heads also die, but usually remain as brown dead heads over winter,
which is what you are describing. AFAIK there aren't any that retain a
coloured flower head.

--
Chris

Old 24-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Sue Begg

Can anyone tell me which variety of hydrangea has bright red colour during
the winter. The ordinary pink ones seem to go a wishy washy brown colour.
TIA
Diane

Hydrangeas are deciduous, they drop their leaves in winter. The flower
heads also die, but usually remain as brown dead heads over winter,
which is what you are describing. AFAIK there aren't any that retain a
coloured flower head.

I know what Diane means but I'm afraid I don't know the variety. I have
seen them overwintering with the dried flower head still in place but
coloured a deep maroon rather than the dirty brown of the usual sorts.
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply
Old 30-09-2005, 11:32 AM
Ornata

Can anyone tell me which variety of hydrangea has bright red colour
during
the winter. The ordinary pink ones seem to go a wishy washy brown
colour.
TIA
Diane

Diane, if you find out, please post a reply. I would also love to
know. Every autumn I pass numerous front gardens with large mophead
hydrangeas that are turning from pink to deep wine-red. The foliage
also is flushed the same colour. Unfortunately the one in my garden
turns that disappointing "wishy washy brown colour"! I bought a
Hydrangea serrata 'Preziosa', thinking this was the one I was looking
for, but I'm not sure it is.

Hydranger maggied Gardening 5 23-08-2003 12:17 AM
hydranger Treflan United Kingdom 1 29-09-2002 10:26 PM