Old 25-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Alan Secker

Default Surface Roots

One of my silver birch trees has developed a surface root that
has ruined my 'lawn'. I read that they develop 'later in life'.( I
assume it is the tree's life).

I would like to remove it.

Firstly, wil the rest of the root system
be able to compensate?

Secondly, can anyone suggest how I might go about it?

TIA

Alan

Old 25-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Alan Secker alan(delete this wrote:
One of my silver birch trees has developed a surface root that
has ruined my 'lawn'. I read that they develop 'later in life'.( I
assume it is the tree's life).

I would like to remove it.

Firstly, wil the rest of the root system
be able to compensate?

Unless the tree is already dying, with no problem!

Secondly, can anyone suggest how I might go about it?

Rather closer to the tree than it comes to the surface, dig down
and cut it off with an axe. I can't tell you whether painting
the end or not is better, but DON'T leave a cut end uncovered by
earth. And don't do that in spring.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-09-2005, 08:11 PM
shazzbat

"Alan Secker" alan(delete this wrote in message
news
One of my silver birch trees has developed a surface root that
has ruined my 'lawn'. I read that they develop 'later in life'.( I
assume it is the tree's life).

No, your life. Made your will yet? :-))

Old 26-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Alan Secker

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:00:18 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article , Alan Secker
alan(delete this wrote:
One of my silver birch trees has developed a surface root that has ruined
my 'lawn'. I read that they develop 'later in life'.( I assume it is the
tree's life).

I would like to remove it.

Firstly, wil the rest of the root system be able to compensate?

Unless the tree is already dying, with no problem!

Secondly, can anyone suggest how I might go about it?

Rather closer to the tree than it comes to the surface, dig down and cut
it off with an axe. I can't tell you whether painting the end or not is
better, but DON'T leave a cut end uncovered by earth. And don't do that
in spring.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I just love getting the response I had hoped for G.
Thanks very much.

Alan

Old 27-09-2005, 11:16 AM
david taylor

Roots can make a right mess of a lawn-on the other hand they are a feature
of a Japanese garden.
Many mature country gardens have trees that show extended surface rooting
systems.
I would have a look at other situations before you make the dreaded chop.
Regards
David T

Old 27-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Alan Secker

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:16:08 +0100, david taylor wrote:

Roots can make a right mess of a lawn-on the other hand they are a feature
of a Japanese garden.
Many mature country gardens have trees that show extended surface rooting
systems.
I would have a look at other situations before you make the dreaded chop.
Regards
David T

I appreciate what you say but I have a vary small garden. The roots are a
serious visual issue.

Regards

Alan