Old 14-10-2005, 12:24 AM
Dean

Default pyracantha

Is this a good time of year for planting Pyracantha?If not when would be? Im
still undecided whether to plant it or virginia creeper (when to plant this
also?) along the front of the house, are the roots of either of them likely
to damage foundations/damp course etc? Any advise would be most welcome.

TIA

Dean

Old 14-10-2005, 06:16 PM
capstan

"Dean" wrote in message
Is this a good time of year for planting Pyracantha?If not when would be?
Im still undecided whether to plant it or virginia creeper (when to plant
this also?) along the front of the house, are the roots of either of them
likely to damage foundations/damp course etc? Any advise would be most
welcome.

TIA

Dean

I have both.
Pros and cons........
The Pyracantha is the more dangerous of the two, nasty vicious spines, (good
burglar deterrent), slower growing, easier to train and prune to shape and
height, insipid flowers in spring, choice of either red, yellow,or orange
berries in autumn/winter which the birds like, not self clinging, will need
some support depending on height, foliage skinny and duller (?),

Virginia Creeper......rampant grower, self clinging which can be a problem
to surface of house, can easily get under the eaves and will cover the whole
house walls and roof if not maintained, beautiful foliage with wonderful
leaf colours in autumn, good bird-nester, turns a house into a
well-lived-in-home look, but important that height and spread is
controlled,..... my favourite of the two.

Can't give an opinion on root damage to house foundations because my house
is embedded in solid sandstone and the plants are in raised beds with a
stone barrier between the plants and the house.

Old 15-10-2005, 12:20 AM
Dean

"Dean" wrote in message
Is this a good time of year for planting Pyracantha?If not when would be?
Im still undecided whether to plant it or virginia creeper are the roots
of either of them likely to damage foundations/damp course etc?

"capstan" wrote I have both.
[...]

Very comprehensive reply, thanks a million. I have to admit Im leaning
towards the virginia creeper, we live in a bungalow so keeping it trimmed
under the eaves wouldn't be a big job.
Is it alright to plant now or would spring be a better time?
Thanks

Old 15-10-2005, 02:17 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Dean" wrote in message
Is this a good time of year for planting Pyracantha?If not when would be?
Im still undecided whether to plant it or virginia creeper (when to plant
this also?) along the front of the house, are the roots of either of them
likely to damage foundations/damp course etc? Any advise would be most
welcome.

I'd go for Pyracantha. It's reasonably slow growing and evergreen with a
variety of coloured berries. If trained round window frames its spikes will
deter burglars.

On the other hand, Virginia Creeper has boring leaves in Summer, Will get
under your roof tiles and do its best to cover next door, whether they want
it or not, has pretty Autumn colours which eventually cover your garden in
leaves that you have the job of picking up.

--
Regards,
Alan

Preserve wildlife - pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 15-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Geoff

The Pyracantha is the more dangerous of the two, nasty vicious spines,
(good

Snip

I think the name means "Who planted that flaming thing"!

Old 18-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Dean

Thanks folks

pyracantha it is then.