Old 16-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Gilly

Default Hydrangea in a Pot

I'm digging out a mophead hydrangea which is about 2 feet tall/wide. It was
originally one of those indoor pot plants from B&Q, but it's growing well in
the border. However, I don't have the space for it now.

I'm wondering if it can be grown permanently in a large patio pot outdoors?
Or are they just too big for pots?

Thanks.

Old 18-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Spider

Gilly wrote in message
I'm digging out a mophead hydrangea which is about 2 feet tall/wide. It

was
originally one of those indoor pot plants from B&Q, but it's growing well

in
the border. However, I don't have the space for it now.

I'm wondering if it can be grown permanently in a large patio pot

outdoors?
Or are they just too big for pots?

Thanks.

Hi Gilly,

Hydrangeas will happily grow in a large pot; however, don't put it in a huge
pot straight away. It is still relatively small for a hydrangea, so put it
in a pot that will just take its rootball plus about 1" of compost around
the sides. Once it has filled this pot, transfer it to a bigger size so
that you can, once again, put 1" of compost around the sides. Do this
until it's in the ultimate size of pot. After this, you can 'top dress' the
pot (scrape away old surface compost to 2" if poss., then top up with fresh
compost). This should keep it happy for many years. If, after a few years,
you feel all the compost is becoming sour, or too poor, you may tip the
Hydrangea out of its pot, remove (and loosen) as much old compost as
possible, trim away any dead or damaged roots, then repot with fresh
compost.

Above is the broad outline. You will, obviously, need to remember to feed
and water the shrub and to prune it in spring. In winter, use pot feet or
bricks to raise the pot off the frosty ground. Also wrap the pot well to
protect it from frost ... Hydrangeas are very hardy, but they're not too
good in ice cubes!

The great advantage of growing Hydrangeas in pots is that you can plant in
ericaceous soil for blue flowers, even if your garden soil is alkaline. If
you're happy with pink flowers, then any 'Tree and Shrub' compost will do.

Hope this helps.

Spider