Old 18-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Gilly

Default Pernettya

Could someone describe the difference between the flowers of a male and
female pernettya (the one with the pink or white or purple berries)?

I was suppposedly sold a male and a female, but the flowers both look the
same (they're both in bloom right now but neither have berries).

Thanks

Old 18-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Emrys Davies

"Gilly" wrote in message
Could someone describe the difference between the flowers of a male

and
female pernettya (the one with the pink or white or purple berries)?

I was suppposedly sold a male and a female, but the flowers both look

the
same (they're both in bloom right now but neither have berries).

Thanks

This site may help you:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...ch&sa=N&tab=wi

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 18-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Gilly

"Emrys Davies" wrote in ...
Could someone describe the difference between the flowers of a male

and female pernettya (the one with the pink or white or purple berries)?

This site may help you:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...btnG=Google+Se
arch&sa=N&tab=wi

Thanks, Emrys, it's the difference between the male and female parts I want,
but I've found a previous posting here that describes the flowers. I think
I've got two females when I was supposedly sold a male!

Regards,

Old 21-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:36:46 GMT, "Gilly" wrote:

"Emrys Davies" wrote in ...
Could someone describe the difference between the flowers of a male

and female pernettya (the one with the pink or white or purple berries)?

This site may help you:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...btnG=Google+Se
arch&sa=N&tab=wi

Thanks, Emrys, it's the difference between the male and female parts I want,
but I've found a previous posting here that describes the flowers. I think
I've got two females when I was supposedly sold a male!

Regards,

Male flowers of many plants carry the pollen, usually on several
stamens often arranged in a circle near and around the centre of the
flower, while female flowers have a single stigma (pollen receiver)
like a little pinhead on a short stalk in the very centre. While there
are plenty of exceptions in detail, I think pernettyas are like this.
But AIUI they're spring-flowering, so I would only expect a very few
flowers ATM, if any. You'll probably have to open up the urn-shaped
flowers very carefully to see whether there are stamens or a stigma
inside.

--
Chris

Old 21-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Gilly

"Emrys Davies" wrote in ...
Could someone describe the difference between the flowers of a male
and female pernettya (the one with the pink or white or purple

berries)?

But AIUI they're spring-flowering, so I would only expect a very few
flowers ATM, if any.

Hi, Chris, thanks for your reply. From your description it sounds like I
have 2 male plants because the flowers have a circle of little thingies with
pollen on (but they also both have a pointy stalk in the middle, so I'm
still not quite sure). Perhaps I should try and take a close up of the
flower's inside and put it on my website.

And yes, both plants have loads of flowers on them right now which is very
weird because, as you say, they're spring flowering (they also flowered last
spring). 2 flushes of flowers but not a single berry!

Thanks,

Pernettya (prickly heath) help! paradox.09 Gardening 1 03-03-2009 05:18 PM
Pernettya David United Kingdom 7 22-02-2008 06:58 PM
Pernettya Janice United Kingdom 5 12-09-2003 10:32 AM