Old 30-01-2005, 08:07 PM
David

Default Pernettya

I have two pernettya shrubs in my garden; one is supposedly a male plant,
the other female. Every spring/summer both plants get lots of little white
flowers, but I have never had any berries from either plant. They were
planted about 3 or 4 years ago (semi-shade, moist) and are doing well
otherwise.

Does anyone have any advice on what I need to do to persuade these shrubs to
produce berries?

Thanks.
David

Old 30-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Registered User

Sweet talk them?

Sounds like you might have two males or two females, but I'm no expert. Does anyone know how to tell the difference?

bob
Old 30-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Kay

In article , David
writes
I have two pernettya shrubs in my garden; one is supposedly a male plant,
the other female. Every spring/summer both plants get lots of little white
flowers, but I have never had any berries from either plant. They were
planted about 3 or 4 years ago (semi-shade, moist) and are doing well
otherwise.

Does anyone have any advice on what I need to do to persuade these shrubs to
produce berries?

They should be doing fine. Check that you have indeed got one of each -
look at the flowers through a hand lens, see that you have stamens in
one and a stigma in the other. Don't know how easy it is to see on
pernettya - it's easy on skimmia.
--
Kay

Old 30-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Kay
writes
In article , David
writes
I have two pernettya shrubs in my garden; one is supposedly a male plant,
the other female. Every spring/summer both plants get lots of little white
flowers, but I have never had any berries from either plant. They were
planted about 3 or 4 years ago (semi-shade, moist) and are doing well
otherwise.

Does anyone have any advice on what I need to do to persuade these shrubs to
produce berries?

They should be doing fine. Check that you have indeed got one of each -
look at the flowers through a hand lens, see that you have stamens in
one and a stigma in the other. Don't know how easy it is to see on
pernettya - it's easy on skimmia.

In some dioecious plants vestigial stamens are present in female plants,
and vestigial styles in male plants. A quick Googling failed to find a
description of the state in Pernettya mucronata. An article in the
American Journal of Botany describes Pernettya rigida as cryptically
dioecious; one might suspect that P. mucronata of being the same.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 30-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In some dioecious plants vestigial stamens are present in female plants,
and vestigial styles in male plants. A quick Googling failed to find a
description of the state in Pernettya mucronata. An article in the
American Journal of Botany describes Pernettya rigida as cryptically
dioecious; one might suspect that P. mucronata of being the same.

The mind boggles - thanks for the education. I knew about the plants
that are undecided whether to be monoecious or dioecious, but I never
suspected the existence of cryptically dioecious ones ....

Sex is pretty confused in some vertebrates (and I am not referring to
Michael Jackson, here), but flowering plants make vertebrates look
simple. I haven't yet heard of a plant with three sexes, but I wouldn't
be flabberghasted to hear that there is one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 30-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Nick Maclaren
[...]

Charles Darwin, in "Different Forms of Flowers on Plants of the Same
Species" describes the common ash, Fraxinus excelsior, as trioecious.

URL:http://pages.britishlibrary.net/char...forms_of_flowe
rs/flowers00.htm

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 31-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Charles Darwin, in "Different Forms of Flowers on Plants of the Same
| Species" describes the common ash, Fraxinus excelsior, as trioecious.
|
| URL:http://pages.britishlibrary.net/char...forms_of_flowe
| rs/flowers00.htm

Yes, but that is only the presence of male, female and hermaphrodite
flowers (and plants). I was reading about some New Zealand plants
with one female and two hermaphrodite flower forms, too. Plants
have never really picked up the idea that you must be entirely one
sex or the other. I was really thinking of sex at the deeper level
of types of gametes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Registered User

Location: Southampton

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I have two pernettya shrubs in my garden; one is supposedly a male plant,
the other female. Every spring/summer both plants get lots of little white
flowers, but I have never had any berries from either plant. They were
planted about 3 or 4 years ago (semi-shade, moist) and are doing well
otherwise.

Does anyone have any advice on what I need to do to persuade these shrubs to
produce berries?

Thanks.
David
Remember, that if you have only two of these shrubs, they must be one male and one female. I would suggest that you have two of the same. A local nursery told me a while ago that these shrubs are very hard to tell between M and F.

Pernettya (prickly heath) help! paradox.09 Gardening 1 03-03-2009 05:18 PM
Pernettya Gilly United Kingdom 4 21-10-2005 06:22 PM
Pernettya Janice United Kingdom 5 12-09-2003 10:32 AM