Old 19-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Jeff Banks

Default Why are my conifers going brown on one side??

I have a row of six conifers forming the boundary at the bottom of my
garden. They are about 20feet tall. The other side of my boundary is a field
used as a car park for a small club. I've only been in the house for a few
months so wanted to check what the boundary looked like from the other side.

When I checked, there are quite large patches stretching high up the length
of the conifers. Any ideas on what may be causing this and why on the back
only? I wondered if maybe the people who maintain the area being my garden
have been putting something on it or damaged them in some way?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks

Jeff

Old 19-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Juan Hanglow

"Jeff Banks" wrote in message
I have a row of six conifers forming the boundary at the bottom of my
garden. They are about 20feet tall. The other side of my boundary is a
field used as a car park for a small club. I've only been in the house for
a few months so wanted to check what the boundary looked like from the
other side.

When I checked, there are quite large patches stretching high up the
length of the conifers. Any ideas on what may be causing this and why on
the back only? I wondered if maybe the people who maintain the area being
my garden have been putting something on it or damaged them in some way?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks

Jeff

just a thought,
Urine
Copper nails in trunks
Exhaust fumes

Old 19-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Mike Lyle

Juan Hanglow wrote:
"Jeff Banks" wrote in message
[...]

Or does it look as though they've been pruned? The trees are likely
to be Leylandii, and they don't like being pruned by the inexpert.

--
Mike.

Old 19-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Tumbleweed

"Juan Hanglow" wrote in message

"Jeff Banks" wrote in message
I have a row of six conifers forming the boundary at the bottom of my
garden. They are about 20feet tall. The other side of my boundary is a
field used as a car park for a small club. I've only been in the house for
a few months so wanted to check what the boundary looked like from the
other side.

When I checked, there are quite large patches stretching high up the
length of the conifers. Any ideas on what may be causing this and why on
the back only? I wondered if maybe the people who maintain the area being
my garden have been putting something on it or damaged them in some way?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks

Jeff

just a thought,
Urine
Copper nails in trunks
Exhaust fumes

Impressive ****ing ability if its way up the trees! Much more likely to be
crap pruning as ML says.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 19-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Steve

"Jeff Banks" wrote in message
[...]

Seemingly not quite enough!

Old 19-10-2005, 11:46 PM
nambucca

"Steve" wrote in message

"Juan Hanglow" wrote in message

"
Jeff

just a thought,
Urine
Copper nails in trunks
Exhaust fumes

Seemingly not quite enough!

Much more likely the effect of 2 years of sunshine
Theres more than enough really nice trees that are dead or dying as a result
of the drought never mind rotten Leylandi

More power to the "aim high " competition though if its urine thats killing
them

Old 20-10-2005, 06:12 AM
Juan Hanglow

"Jeff Banks" wrote in message
I have a row of six conifers forming the boundary at the bottom of my
garden. They are about 20feet tall. The other side of my boundary is a
field used as a car park for a small club. I've only been in the house for
a few months so wanted to check what the boundary looked like from the
other side.

When I checked, there are quite large patches stretching high up the
length of the conifers. Any ideas on what may be causing this and why on
the back only? I wondered if maybe the people who maintain the area being
my garden have been putting something on it or damaged them in some way?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks

Jeff

my neighbours cat has got a ladder..........he can mow pee over my cars
bonnet.

Old 20-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Banks
I have a row of six conifers forming the boundary at the bottom of my
garden. They are about 20feet tall. The other side of my boundary is a field
used as a car park for a small club. I've only been in the house for a few
months so wanted to check what the boundary looked like from the other side.

When I checked, there are quite large patches stretching high up the length
of the conifers. Any ideas on what may be causing this and why on the back
only? I wondered if maybe the people who maintain the area being my garden
have been putting something on it or damaged them in some way?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks

Jeff
As mentioned above, pruning would be prime suspect (without seeing the tree's to be sure), coniferous trees dont regrow once cut back beyond the green.
Copper nails would do absolutely nothing, its an old wifes tale.
__________________
Carrot Cruncher.
Old 20-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Juan Hanglow

"penance" wrote in message
news

Jeff Banks Wrote:
[...]

they buggered up my uncles feet when is misses used em to repair his boots.

Old 20-10-2005, 10:07 PM
Mike Lyle

Juan Hanglow wrote:
"penance" wrote in message

[...]
Copper nails would do absolutely nothing, its an old wifes tale.

[...]

they buggered up my uncles feet when is misses used em to repair

his
boots.

Oh, when will people ever learn? You've got to take the boots _off_
before letting somebody repair them.

--
Mike.

Old 20-10-2005, 10:30 PM
compo

The message
from "Jeff Banks" contains these words:

The other side of my boundary is a field
used as a car park for a small club.

Is it a open, windy site? Some conifers are not happy with drying winds
and can burn on the windy side.

--
Cheers,

Compo.
Old 30-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Paul

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 05:12:26 +0000 (UTC), "Juan Hanglow"
wrote:

"Jeff Banks" wrote in message
k...
I have a row of six conifers forming the boundary at the bottom of my
garden. They are about 20feet tall. The other side of my boundary is a
field used as a car park for a small club. I've only been in the house for
a few months so wanted to check what the boundary looked like from the
other side.

When I checked, there are quite large patches stretching high up the
length of the conifers. Any ideas on what may be causing this and why on
the back only? I wondered if maybe the people who maintain the area being
my garden have been putting something on it or damaged them in some way?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks

Jeff

my neighbours cat has got a ladder..........he can mow pee over my cars
bonnet.

Dam clever Cat if he can use a mower to spray your cars.

Conifers going brown...help! Daveconifer United Kingdom 4 27-08-2011 12:08 PM
Flowers: side by side mea305 Gardening 1 10-01-2007 02:23 PM
brown conifers PMAC1727 United Kingdom 2 02-07-2003 12:08 PM
south side of a solo tree in open field is the best side Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 2 15-05-2003 02:20 PM