Old 22-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Rocket

Default Mares Tail

How do I get rid of it and hopefully stop it coming back please? The house
next door is vacant and it has spread under the fence to my property.

--
Rocket
=====

Old 22-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Phil L

Rocket wrote:
:: How do I get rid of it and hopefully stop it coming back please? The
:: house next door is vacant and it has spread under the fence to my
:: property.
::
:: --
:: Rocket
:: =====

Read the thread below entitled, 'Horsetail on Allotment'

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 23-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Rocket

Rocket wrote:
:: How do I get rid of it and hopefully stop it coming back please? The
:: house next door is vacant and it has spread under the fence to my
:: property.
::
:: --
:: Rocket
:: =====

Read the thread below entitled, 'Horsetail on Allotment'

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Thank you kindly. I was unaware it went under other names.

--
Rocket
=====

Old 23-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Rocket" contains these words:

/mare's tail/

Thank you kindly. I was unaware it went under other names.

Properly, it is horsetail, though locally it is often called 'mare's
tail'. (We've had all this before!)

Mare's tail proper is Hippuris vulgaris, and is a still or
slow-moving-water plant

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 23-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Rocket" contains these words:

/mare's tail/

Thank you kindly. I was unaware it went under other names.

Properly, it is horsetail, though locally it is often called 'mare's
tail'. (We've had all this before!)

We have, so PLEASE don't say that the name "horsetail" is any more
"proper" than "mare's tail". The former is merely the most common
of the common names for it - there really isn't any difference in
the use between "harebell" and "bluebell" for Campanula rotundifolia.

Mare's tail proper is Hippuris vulgaris, and is a still or
slow-moving-water plant

It's certainly rarely called horsetail :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 23-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Brian

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Rocket" contains these words:

/mare's tail/

Thank you kindly. I was unaware it went under other names.

Properly, it is horsetail, though locally it is often called 'mare's
tail'. (We've had all this before!)

We have, so PLEASE don't say that the name "horsetail" is any more
"proper" than "mare's tail". The former is merely the most common
of the common names for it - there really isn't any difference in
the use between "harebell" and "bluebell" for Campanula rotundifolia.

Mare's tail proper is Hippuris vulgaris, and is a still or
slow-moving-water plant

~~~~~~~~~~#
And is a nut producing flowering plant. More closely related to Chestnuts
or any other FP. Brian.

It's certainly rarely called horsetail :-)

~~~~~~~~~~
Middle ages there was confusion and Mare's-tail was so called as it
looked a more feminine variety. Brian.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 23-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond contains these words:

?

Old 23-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Brian
writes
Mare's tail proper is Hippuris vulgaris, and is a still or
slow-moving-water plant

~~~~~~~~~~#
And is a nut producing flowering plant. More closely related to
Chestnuts or any other FP. Brian.

Hippuris belongs to Haloragaceae, which is one of a group of families
related to Crassulaceae (stonecrops, houseleeks, etc), and is part of
the Saxifragales order, which is one of the major lineages of the core
eudicots (with rosids, asterids, Caryophyllales and some smaller
groups); the sweet, horse and water chestnuts belong to different
branches of the rosids, respectively being closish to oaks, maples and
(purple) loosestrifes.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

mares tail Karin United Kingdom 76 15-02-2004 01:23 PM
mares tail [OT] Tom Bennett United Kingdom 0 11-02-2004 04:48 AM
mares tail , horse tail David Hill United Kingdom 0 01-02-2004 11:20 PM
Mares tail Ed Gardening 10 25-08-2003 03:32 PM
mares tail hendo2002 United Kingdom 4 26-06-2003 09:44 AM