Old 26-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Terry Minshall

Default Leylandii disposal

I will be trimming a large leylandii hedge soon.

Can the trimmings be easily composted or is there a better way of disposal
other than sending them to landfill or bonfire?

Terry Minshall

Old 26-10-2005, 08:46 PM
ned

Terry Minshall wrote:
I will be trimming a large leylandii hedge soon.

Can the trimmings be easily composted or is there a better way of
disposal other than sending them to landfill or bonfire?

The woody bits have to be shredded or burned or - if you must, taken
to landfill.
The fine clippings make a wonderful mulch for paths or a mulch under
shrubs or trees. I have never found the need to use the landfill
option and I have 120 ft of 8ft tall hedge to maintain annually.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 17.10.2005

Old 27-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:35:48 +0000 (UTC), "Terry Minshall"
wrote:

I will be trimming a large leylandii hedge soon.

Can the trimmings be easily composted or is there a better way of disposal
other than sending them to landfill or bonfire?

Terry Minshall

I shred all my leylandii trimmings up to about 15mm thickness, and
burn the rest indoors. Bag up the shreddings and use them for mulch in
six months. The softer bits soon disappear into the soil, although the
woody bits hang around for a couple of years.

--
Chris

Old 27-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Draven

wrote:

I will be trimming a large leylandii hedge soon.

Can the trimmings be easily composted or is there a better way of disposal
other than sending them to landfill or bonfire?

Terry Minshall

I shred all my leylandii trimmings up to about 15mm thickness, and
burn the rest indoors. Bag up the shreddings and use them for mulch in
six months. The softer bits soon disappear into the soil, although the
woody bits hang around for a couple of years.

--
Chris

Does it burn well on a multi-stove?

Old 27-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Draven" contains these words:

/Leylandii/

Does it burn well on a multi-stove?

Yes, but like an inverted rocket.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Disposal of lawn moss? Broadback United Kingdom 25 18-03-2010 05:43 PM
Black Walnut trees removal & disposal newsreader Gardening 6 22-06-2006 03:30 AM
Doggy poop disposal tom&barbara United Kingdom 8 03-05-2006 08:18 AM
Brush Disposal Beerbuoy Texas 2 01-08-2003 04:04 AM
Safe disposal of defunct HPS lamps? Jonathan Sachs Gardening 0 08-02-2003 05:43 PM