Old 12-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Janet Galpin

Default Blue Lake Beans

The message
from Janet Galpin contains these words:

The message
from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks, that would be great as the leafy Oriental veg, have a 40%
failure
rate due to (I think) the Flea Beatle. Tried liquid Derris, but no
workee.
BD

Covering this kind of crop with horticultural fleece works very well
against flea beetle. It's easy, healthy and quite cheap.

Thanks, I may give that a try, although the coverage would need to
be about
7 rows, so I have to work out costs vs benefits.
My Cos, Winter Density, Icebegs and Webs W were unaffected. This may
be due
to the fact that I start them off in the greenhouse.
Autumn King carrots were badly hit by carrot fly this year, although
free of
the pests during the previous 3 years. All other crops were fine - so not
complaining too much.
Bertie

Lettuce doesn't seem to suffer from flea beetle. In my experience,
radishes, mizuna, rocket and oriental veg in the brassica family like
texel greens get affected badly when it's hot and dry in mid to late
summer.
By the way, fleece is also very good for carrot fly. It lasts a few
seasons too.
Janet G

Sorry. Just occurred to me that Texel greens aren't oriental - Ethiopian
apparently.
Janet G
Old 12-11-2005, 07:37 PM
Bertie Doe

"Janet Galpin" wrote in from "Bertie Doe"
contains these words:

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message

Lettuce doesn't seem to suffer from flea beetle. In my experience,
radishes, mizuna, rocket and oriental veg in the brassica family like
texel greens get affected badly when it's hot and dry in mid to late
summer.
By the way, fleece is also very good for carrot fly. It lasts a few
seasons too.
Janet G

Sorry. Just occurred to me that Texel greens aren't oriental - Ethiopian
apparently.

In which case, they have my complete support - most of the coffee I roast,
is Ethiopian.
B.D.

Old 12-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:

Autumn King carrots were badly hit by carrot fly this year, although
free of
the pests during the previous 3 years. All other crops were fine - so not
complaining too much.

I think you can plant certain crops between the rows of carrots to deter
the carrot fly, but since my ground is unsuitable for growing carrots
ATM, I have erased the memory. Garlic suggest itself, or maybe onions,
but i believe there is something more decorative too.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Bertie Doe

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:

Autumn King carrots were badly hit by carrot fly this year, although
free of
the pests during the previous 3 years. All other crops were fine - so not
complaining too much.

I think you can plant certain crops between the rows of carrots to deter
the carrot fly, but since my ground is unsuitable for growing carrots
ATM, I have erased the memory. Garlic suggest itself, or maybe onions,
but i believe there is something more decorative too.

I did in fact, sandwich the carrots between a row of celariac and a row of
bulb fennel. I grew them in my top allotment, which runs north/south.
I'll try again in '06, on my other allotment which runs east/west. The
adjoining taller veg, should therefore offer some protection, from westerly
wind-born flies. Trouble these daze, it's hard to define 'prevailing winds',
with weather patterns a bit topsy-turvy.
Bertie

Old 13-11-2005, 12:40 PM
La puce

Bertie Doe wrote:

Thanks, that would be great as the leafy Oriental veg, have a 40% failure
rate due to (I think) the Flea Beatle. Tried liquid Derris, but no workee.

I wouldn't know because I haven't tried these. The beans I've got, and
I'll be too pleased to give you some, are Gan Su Jiu Quan Ri Di Seed -
I have red ones and green ones. There's no english translation at all,
beside the title I've given you. The later are very VERY long, and when
I said at least 30cm I think I've made a mistake. From the picture it's
safe to say double that! The yellow looks very much like French beans.

If you're interested I also have a Zhoupi Rousigua, looks like a type
of courgette ... strange thing indeed. And an aubergine too but
according to the packet my friend could only tell me it can weight from
750gr to 1kg!! Monster aubergines. I'll photocopy the packet so that
your wife can read it for herself )

The packets have two names, Longsing and Sanfeng. The longsing has a
website www.longsingseed.com. I haven't been there yet. But will when I
have a minute. I hope you'll find info regarding the flea beatle if you
think you have such a high failure rate with your oriental veg.

Old 13-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Bertie Doe

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bertie Doe wrote:

Thanks, that would be great as the leafy Oriental veg, have a 40% failure
rate due to (I think) the Flea Beatle. Tried liquid Derris, but no
workee.

I wouldn't know because I haven't tried these. The beans I've got, and
I'll be too pleased to give you some, are Gan Su Jiu Quan Ri Di Seed -
I have red ones and green ones. There's no english translation at all,
beside the title I've given you. The later are very VERY long, and when
I said at least 30cm I think I've made a mistake. From the picture it's
safe to say double that! The yellow looks very much like French beans.

Thanks, my wife remembers they look like french beans, tubular, straight
with no indents.

If you're interested I also have a Zhoupi Rousigua, looks like a type
of courgette ... strange thing indeed. And an aubergine too but
according to the packet my friend could only tell me it can weight from
750gr to 1kg!! Monster aubergines. I'll photocopy the packet so that
your wife can read it for herself )

They all sound great and I have some spare Blue Lake and also some French
Mange Tout peas to swap.
Bertie

Old 13-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Bertie Doe

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...

The way I freeze runners you'd never know they *HAD* been frozen.

Blanche em?

Blanch them and bag them up with the blanching water in multiples of 1
portion lots. Including the juice prevents them from freeze-drying, and
all you have to do is to allow them to thaw, then gently bring them up
to the boil.

Thanks Rusty, I'll try that next year. Slightly OT, you're interested in
a/c, I don't suppose they were your pics on alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
from Rusty dated 10/11 ?? Could be a composter-imposter.
Bertie

Old 13-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:

/freezing runners/

Thanks Rusty, I'll try that next year. Slightly OT, you're interested in
a/c, I don't suppose they were your pics on alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
from Rusty dated 10/11 ?? Could be a composter-imposter.

No, I fon't infest binary groups. My newsreader isn't ideal for them,
and I CBA to configure one that goes and gets just the headers...

However, I have a few pics - if you want anything in particular I might
have it, if it has a whizzy-round-thing on the front.

And one or two of the older hairdryers.

Old 13-11-2005, 10:44 PM
Bertie Doe

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:

/freezing runners/

Thanks Rusty, I'll try that next year. Slightly OT, you're interested in
a/c, I don't suppose they were your pics on
alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
from Rusty dated 10/11 ?? Could be a composter-imposter.

No, I fon't infest binary groups. My newsreader isn't ideal for them,
and I CBA to configure one that goes and gets just the headers...

That's a pity, there's some great shots (5.11) subject : Eating aeroplanes.
Picture the scene : a giant 'Truckasaurus', fire-breathing, type robot. The
watching crowd, sees this beast consume aircraft (SALT Agreement). It's
obviously a digital 'windup' even the spendaholic Crosspondians, wouldn't
dream something like this up.
You may not use O.E., but didn't a copy come free with your pooter. If yes,
highlight the items, go 'Message' and click "Combine & Decode".
Bertie

Old 14-11-2005, 01:46 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:

No, I fon't infest binary groups. My newsreader isn't ideal for them,
and I CBA to configure one that goes and gets just the headers...

That's a pity, there's some great shots (5.11) subject : Eating aeroplanes.
Picture the scene : a giant 'Truckasaurus', fire-breathing, type robot. The
watching crowd, sees this beast consume aircraft (SALT Agreement). It's
obviously a digital 'windup' even the spendaholic Crosspondians, wouldn't
dream something like this up.
You may not use O.E., but didn't a copy come free with your pooter. If yes,
highlight the items, go 'Message' and click "Combine & Decode".

I'd rather put to sea in a sieve myself than sail that virtual colander
on a viral sea.

I *COULD look at binaries with Firefox or Opera, but it would mean
sorting out a server and pointing them at it. If I were on broadband I
might just think about it.

Old 16-11-2005, 01:32 PM
La puce

Bertie Doe wrote:

[...]

Your chinese seeds are ready for dispatch. Send me an email with your
address Bertie.