Old 07-11-2005, 09:09 AM
stevej

Default winter pansies

Hi

Is it just in the NW where I am or are winter pansies useless this year. All
mine have no flowers and look very dead. Also, I was in Focus (DIY)
yesterday and they have stacks and stacks of pansies with no flowers on at
all, a full tray for the ''bargain'' price of 50p.....anyone..

Steve

Old 07-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Jeanne Stockdale

"stevej" wrote in message
Hi

Is it just in the NW where I am or are winter pansies useless this year.
All mine have no flowers and look very dead. Also, I was in Focus (DIY)
yesterday and they have stacks and stacks of pansies with no flowers on at
all, a full tray for the ''bargain'' price of 50p.....anyone..

Steve
Suggest you try the markets - I bought some in Nantwich market last week
£1.50 per tray or 4 trays for £5. Yes, more expensive but they look very
healthy plants

Jeanne

Old 08-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Worthing, England

Could be the level of rain you get up that way. Down here in relatively dry Sussex we've had a fine display of them. Put them in a month ago and they're doing very well. Need to keep the slugs & snails away of course.

The comment about a good supplier is pertinent too. We got ours at a local nursery and they looked good from the start.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Registered User

Location: Worthing, England

Just remembered we topped up the bed with well-rotted horse manure & multi-compost. A neighbour with the same supplier didn't take this extra step, and hers are definitely not so impressive.

Bit late for this now, but you can always feed them - liquid Miracle Gro for example.

Old 11-11-2005, 01:50 PM
david taylor

I bought two lots this year-one from a local nurseryman which was very good,
straight into a hanging basket. The other was cheap, from B&Q.
The cheap ones were thoroughly pot bound, in a polystyrene container with
tiny compartments. Some of these have gone into borders where they are
picking up in the mild Devon climate.
The others I put into a cool greenhouse where they have been able to grow
and extend their root systems under protection and now seem OK in a hanging
basket.
I suggest a little coddling followed by hardening off in the North.
Regards
David T

--
Blossom