Old 16-09-2011, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Winter pansies

If I can buy some, when would be the last time to plant them in UK,
N.Lincs?
I have trudged the web and nothing has been said as to when.

Thanks
Baz
Old 16-09-2011, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/09/2011 18:37, Baz wrote:
If I can buy some, when would be the last time to plant them in UK,
N.Lincs?
I have trudged the web and nothing has been said as to when.

Thanks
Baz

B&Q is full of pansies and violas at the moment so I'm guessing now is
the time to plant, at least down here in the sultry south east.
Old 16-09-2011, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

stuart noble wrote in news:bHMcq.1051$v%1.68
@newsfe04.ams2:

On 16/09/2011 18:37, Baz wrote:
If I can buy some, when would be the last time to plant them in UK,
N.Lincs?
I have trudged the web and nothing has been said as to when.

Thanks
Baz

B&Q is full of pansies and violas at the moment so I'm guessing now is
the time to plant, at least down here in the sultry south east.

Thankyou stuart,
Here in the not so sultry end of the country B&Q have them, or at least
will have them next week. They know how to charge don't they.

Thanks
Baz
Old 16-09-2011, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

:

On 16/09/2011 18:37, Baz wrote:
If I can buy some, when would be the last time to plant them in UK,
N.Lincs?
I have trudged the web and nothing has been said as to when.

Thanks
Baz

B&Q is full of pansies and violas at the moment so I'm guessing now is
the time to plant, at least down here in the sultry south east.

Thankyou stuart,
Here in the not so sultry end of the country B&Q have them, or at least
will have them next week. They know how to charge don't they.

It would be worth checking Aldi if there's one near you: they
sometimes have good plants cheap, but you have to get there before
they've neglected them half to death.

--
Mike.
Old 17-09-2011, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:37:34 GMT, Baz wrote:

If I can buy some, when would be the last time to plant them in UK,
N.Lincs?
I have trudged the web and nothing has been said as to when.

Thanks
Baz

There were lots on sale in a town market last week, going cheap.

Pam in Bristol

Old 17-09-2011, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/09/2011 20:18, Baz wrote:
stuart wrote in news:bHMcq.1051$v%1.68
@newsfe04.ams2:

On 16/09/2011 18:37, Baz wrote:
If I can buy some, when would be the last time to plant them in UK,
N.Lincs?
I have trudged the web and nothing has been said as to when.

Thanks
Baz

B&Q is full of pansies and violas at the moment so I'm guessing now is
the time to plant, at least down here in the sultry south east.

Thankyou stuart,
Here in the not so sultry end of the country B&Q have them, or at least
will have them next week. They know how to charge don't they.

Thanks
Baz

I'm sure our local branch lost a fortune with the bedding plants earlier
in the year, which coincided with that mini heat wave. They really
needed someone on full time hose duty and, for the sake of a few quid in
wages, lost the greater part of their stock.

I got some of the "value" range violas @ £2.80 per 20, and a box @ £5.00
per 40. The latter were slightly bigger plugs but I have to say all were
in prime condition.

I learnt last year that you can't have too many violas. The more the
foliage covers the soil, the less likely they are to get wet and soggy
when it snows. I also learnt that pastel shades seem to show up better
than deep colours in winter.
Old 17-09-2011, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

stuart noble wrote in news:B_%cq.2327$KC5.901
@newsfe26.ams2:

I'm sure our local branch lost a fortune with the bedding plants earlier
in the year, which coincided with that mini heat wave. They really
needed someone on full time hose duty and, for the sake of a few quid in
wages, lost the greater part of their stock.

Yes and you would think the store manager would reaise this, but to be fair
a manager is only a puppet and head office will pull all of the strings. ):

I got some of the "value" range violas @ £2.80 per 20, and a box @ £5.00
per 40. The latter were slightly bigger plugs but I have to say all were
in prime condition.

From B&Q? That is good if so.

I learnt last year that you can't have too many violas. The more the
foliage covers the soil, the less likely they are to get wet and soggy
when it snows. I also learnt that pastel shades seem to show up better
than deep colours in winter.

I am going to plant some of mine in a south facing border next to a wall of
the house and the rest next to a south facing fence so hopfully the nasty
weather should not harm them.

I don't usually do flowers, only veg.and this is my first time because OH
and me get tired of looking out of the window at bare soil with nothing
alive. If you know what I mean.

Thanks for the info.
Baz

Old 17-09-2011, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote in :

stuart noble wrote in
news:B_%cq.2327$KC5.901 @newsfe26.ams2:

I'm sure our local branch lost a fortune with the bedding plants
earlier in the year, which coincided with that mini heat wave. They
really needed someone on full time hose duty and, for the sake of a
few quid in wages, lost the greater part of their stock.

Yes and you would think the store manager would reaise this, but to be
fair a manager is only a puppet and head office will pull all of the
strings. ):

I got some of the "value" range violas @ £2.80 per 20, and a box @
£5.00 per 40. The latter were slightly bigger plugs but I have to say
all were in prime condition.

From B&Q? That is good if so.

I learnt last year that you can't have too many violas. The more the
foliage covers the soil, the less likely they are to get wet and
soggy when it snows. I also learnt that pastel shades seem to show up
better than deep colours in winter.

I am going to plant some of mine in a south facing border next to a
wall of the house and the rest next to a south facing fence so
hopfully the nasty weather should not harm them.

I don't usually do flowers, only veg.and this is my first time because
OH and me get tired of looking out of the window at bare soil with
nothing alive. If you know what I mean.

Thanks for the info.
Baz

I have just got back from the local market with 20 violas, 20 pansies 20
spring cabbage and 20 caulli for £12.50. From a trusted dealer, not by me
but a friend.
Too many brassicas to handle but I can give at least half away.

And it is hissing down now for goodness sake! At least now we have them to
plant between downpours.

Baz
Old 17-09-2011, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
I have just got back from the local market with 20 violas, 20 pansies 20
spring cabbage and 20 caulli for ?12.50. From a trusted dealer, not by me
but a friend.
Too many brassicas to handle but I can give at least half away.

Send me some! I can never get cauliflowers to grow. :-(
Actually. Isn't it the wrong time of year to put caulis out? I thought
they went out in spring, and now was the time for sprouting broccoli and
cabbage.

Old 17-09-2011, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/09/2011 13:52, Baz wrote:
stuart wrote in news:B_%cq.2327$KC5.901
@newsfe26.ams2:

I'm sure our local branch lost a fortune with the bedding plants earlier
in the year, which coincided with that mini heat wave. They really
needed someone on full time hose duty and, for the sake of a few quid in
wages, lost the greater part of their stock.

Yes and you would think the store manager would reaise this, but to be fair
a manager is only a puppet and head office will pull all of the strings. ):

I got some of the "value" range violas @ £2.80 per 20, and a box @ £5.00
per 40. The latter were slightly bigger plugs but I have to say all were
in prime condition.

From B&Q? That is good if so.

Yes, B&Q

I learnt last year that you can't have too many violas. The more the
foliage covers the soil, the less likely they are to get wet and soggy
when it snows. I also learnt that pastel shades seem to show up better
than deep colours in winter.

I am going to plant some of mine in a south facing border next to a wall of
the house and the rest next to a south facing fence so hopfully the nasty
weather should not harm them.

I had some in baskets on a north facing fence and they flowered as well
as the rest.

I don't usually do flowers, only veg.and this is my first time because OH
and me get tired of looking out of the window at bare soil with nothing
alive. If you know what I mean.

Nothing alive (inside or out, or on the tv). Yeah, I know what you mean :-)

Last winter the yellow and white violas were great. They only turned
their heads down when the temp was well below zero, and bounced back
quickly. In fact, I'm just chucking the last of them now.
Old 17-09-2011, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
I have just got back from the local market with 20 violas, 20 pansies
20 spring cabbage and 20 caulli for 12.50. From a trusted dealer,
not by me but a friend.
Too many brassicas to handle but I can give at least half away.

Send me some! I can never get cauliflowers to grow. :-(
Actually. Isn't it the wrong time of year to put caulis out? I
thought they went out in spring, and now was the time for sprouting
broccoli and cabbage.

Caullis are a bit difficult I know and I am pathetic with them.
Actually they can be planted in Sept. to overwinter in a bed with some
frost protection to give them an early start in spring.
I bought the plants on a whim to see what happens. At £1.50 for 20 plugs it
would be rude not to.

You might not have good results because they need to be planted very firmly
indeed. I mean plant them and really stand or stomp around them.(as with
all brassiccas) Someone told me "firm root, firm fruit" and that has been
true with cabbages and brussels sprouts, and the odd caulli I have managed
to get to the kitchen.

Don't give up, keep on trying because I can see a day in the future when
you might need your home grown veg!

Baz
Old 17-09-2011, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 15:44:53 GMT, Baz wrote:

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
[...]

Don't forget the netting! You have posted the availability of some
brassicas to the internet. Do you think pigeons don't read newsgroups?

If the seller was decent (as you think) the variety should be a frost
hardy one, in which case you may get by with just closing the leaves
around the curd and tying them with some string when frost threatens
and then just drop some fleece over them at night. I used to get away
with that when I had my own allotment (though that was some years ago
when winters were not so cold as we didn't have global warming) ))

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 17-09-2011, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in
:

Don't forget the netting! You have posted the availability of some
brassicas to the internet. Do you think pigeons don't read newsgroups?

If the seller was decent (as you think) the variety should be a frost
hardy one, in which case you may get by with just closing the leaves
around the curd and tying them with some string when frost threatens
and then just drop some fleece over them at night. I used to get away
with that when I had my own allotment (though that was some years ago
when winters were not so cold as we didn't have global warming) ))

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Jake!
The caulli have no curds yet! They are small plants intended for over
wintering. I will of course insulate as neccessary during cold spells.

Baz
Old 17-09-2011, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 17:44:43 GMT, Baz wrote:

The caulli have no curds yet! They are small plants intended for over
wintering. I will of course insulate as neccessary during cold spells.

Baz

I know that

But IME there may well be tiny, tiny little curds developing by the
time the frosts hit (here at least).

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk

when to plant winter pansies Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 4 10-09-2011 02:40 PM
Winter Pansies Pete[_9_] United Kingdom 0 16-05-2010 04:04 PM
Winter pansies Alan Jones United Kingdom 1 22-05-2007 05:33 PM
winter pansies stevej United Kingdom 5 11-11-2005 01:50 PM
Winter flowering pansies. Ron United Kingdom 0 01-06-2003 10:08 AM