Old 10-11-2005, 03:23 PM
La puce

Default Jackdaws to Buzzards

Malcolm wrote:
And buildings of all kinds, but they do use some natural sites,
including the following which I've found: hollow trees, or hollow
branches, small caves in inland and coastal cliffs, and even in the
space left by an upturned tree.

We've just finished doing our loft a couple of weeks ago and I got
concerned we wouldn't be visited by the owls anymore. We're still
unsure exactly where they nested, because we found lots of bits, bones,
feathers in a minute little space. It's amazing the tiny space they
use! They were not there last year, at least I didn't hear them, but
the year before I could here them coming in and out but hooting loud
and clear. I think they'll come back because we've left 1.5m width from
our first partition wall and the insulation walls. I wanted to put up
boxes but we thought we'd give them instead the whole run of the roof
edges )

Old 10-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message .com
from "La puce" contains these words:

We've just finished doing our loft a couple of weeks ago and I got
concerned we wouldn't be visited by the owls anymore. We're still
unsure exactly where they nested, because we found lots of bits, bones,
feathers in a minute little space. It's amazing the tiny space they
use! They were not there last year, at least I didn't hear them, but
the year before I could here them coming in and out but hooting loud
and clear. I think they'll come back because we've left 1.5m width from
our first partition wall and the insulation walls. I wanted to put up
boxes but we thought we'd give them instead the whole run of the roof
edges )

If you put up a ½m × ½m platform with a lip of something like 1" × 1½"
(sorry to mix systems) and they do get in, they'll like that, especially
if it's near the peak on a gable-end.

*SOME* light is necessary though: they are unlikely to nest in total darkness.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 10-11-2005, 08:08 PM
La puce

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

If you put up a ½m × ½m platform with a lip of something like 1" × 1½"
(sorry to mix systems) and they do get in, they'll like that, especially
if it's near the peak on a gable-end.

We've got the scaffolding until next monday so that we can touch up the
windows this week end. Ta for the advice but I won't go upthere myself.
I had a funny turn on the scaffold. Half way there my legs frozed and
my life flashed before me (

*SOME* light is necessary though: they are unlikely to nest in total darkness.

Ho! I guarantee light. My 15 years old alien is moving in the bigest
room. He can't switch lights off. But perhaps I could mention this to
the chap visiting us tomorrow evening. We need some repairs to the
gable and I don't want my husband to do it.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

If you put up a ½m × ½m platform with a lip of something like 1" × 1½"
(sorry to mix systems) and they do get in, they'll like that, especially
if it's near the peak on a gable-end.

We've got the scaffolding until next monday so that we can touch up the
windows this week end. Ta for the advice but I won't go upthere myself.
I had a funny turn on the scaffold. Half way there my legs frozed and
my life flashed before me (

*SOME* light is necessary though: they are unlikely to nest in total
darkness.

Ho! I guarantee light. My 15 years old alien is moving in the bigest
room. He can't switch lights off. But perhaps I could mention this to
the chap visiting us tomorrow evening. We need some repairs to the
gable and I don't want my husband to do it.

I meant inside the loft (I thought you did, too - they won't nest outside.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

blackbirds or jackdaws Kate Morgan United Kingdom 8 21-05-2009 01:52 PM
Jackdaws Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 7 02-03-2008 04:18 PM
Jackdaws! Sacha United Kingdom 5 03-03-2007 12:02 PM
OT Do Jackdaws kill Bats Sad Sid United Kingdom 49 04-10-2003 01:49 AM
Buzzards are Leaving cat daddy Texas 12 05-04-2003 11:09 AM