Old 30-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Sad Sid

Default OT Do Jackdaws kill Bats

Every evening I sit out on the patio watching the sun drop below the
horizon. As the sun sets the jackdaws gather in huge flocks of several
hundred birds, diving and swooping together until the sun sets. Often I see
a bat emerge from the eaves of the Manse to flutter about catching insects
on the wing.
Last night the bat emerged and flew across my garden. A pair of the jackdaws
swooped - and suddenly the bat was gone!
I have never seen a jackdaw take live prey like this before - is this usual
behaviour?

Old 30-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Malcolm Ogilvie

In article , Sad Sid
writes
Every evening I sit out on the patio watching the sun drop below the
horizon. As the sun sets the jackdaws gather in huge flocks of several
hundred birds, diving and swooping together until the sun sets. Often I see
a bat emerge from the eaves of the Manse to flutter about catching insects
on the wing.
Last night the bat emerged and flew across my garden. A pair of the jackdaws
swooped - and suddenly the bat was gone!
I have never seen a jackdaw take live prey like this before - is this usual
behaviour?

Yes, Jackdaws regularly take live prey, including bats, as well as birds
up to the size of Starling.

--
Malcolm Ogilvie
Old 30-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Sad Sid" . contains these words:

Every evening I sit out on the patio watching the sun drop below the
horizon. As the sun sets the jackdaws gather in huge flocks of several
hundred birds, diving and swooping together until the sun sets. Often I see
a bat emerge from the eaves of the Manse to flutter about catching insects
on the wing.
Last night the bat emerged and flew across my garden. A pair of the jackdaws
swooped - and suddenly the bat was gone!
I have never seen a jackdaw take live prey like this before - is this usual
behaviour?

Them jackdaw's rooks.

I'd lay odds on any bat when it comes to ærial maoeuvrability versus a rook.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 30-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Altrades wrote:
The message
from "Sad Sid" . contains these words:

Every evening I sit out on the patio watching the sun drop below the
horizon. As the sun sets the jackdaws gather in huge flocks of several
hundred birds, diving and swooping together until the sun sets. Often I see
a bat emerge from the eaves of the Manse to flutter about catching insects
on the wing.
Last night the bat emerged and flew across my garden. A pair of the jackdaws
swooped - and suddenly the bat was gone!
I have never seen a jackdaw take live prey like this before - is this usual
behaviour?

Them jackdaw's rooks.

I'd lay odds on any bat when it comes to ærial maoeuvrability versus a rook.

Not quite any bat - some of the flying foxes (fruit bats) aren't very
agile. But, in the UK, I agree. My guess would be that the bat just
did a jink, and disappeared from sight - while several birds might
well take bats, it seems a little implausible that they would be able
to catch one on the wing. Unless seriously sick, injured or whatever,
of course.

I have certainly seen bats disappear into thin air many times. While
my reactions are good, those of bats are one hell of a lot better!

And the way that they move conflicts with the 'wiring' of our visual
system to make them very hard to see, in a way that doesn't apply to
land mammals and almost all birds. Our visual system has a fairly
high latency, and makes up for that by extrapolating in all sorts of
complicated ways - this makes it possible to follow some very fast
movement, but means that things that move in other ways can simply
vanish from sight.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-09-2003, 09:31 PM
BAC

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Jaques d'Altrades wrote:
[...]

Nocturnal migrating passerines have been proven (using radar and also faecal
pellet examination) to fall victim to 'on the wing' predation by the greater
noctule bat, in Spain. Apart from that, I understand such 'conflicts' are
considered rare.

Old 30-09-2003, 11:40 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

Nocturnal migrating passerines have been proven (using radar and also faecal
pellet examination) to fall victim to 'on the wing' predation by the greater
noctule bat, in Spain. Apart from that, I understand such 'conflicts' are
considered rare.

A touch of snipping here and there would be appreciated....

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 01-10-2003, 06:32 AM
Sad Sid

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
Them jackdaw's rooks.

Nope. Them Jackdaw's Jackdaws.
There are thousands of them here in South Wales and they are very
distinctive with their glossy black bodies and slate grey hoods.
They feed off my bird table and nest in the copse at the bottom of the
garden.

Old 01-10-2003, 06:43 AM
Sad Sid

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
I'd lay odds on any bat when it comes to ærial maoeuvrability versus a

rook.

Not quite any bat - some of the flying foxes (fruit bats) aren't very
agile. But, in the UK, I agree. My guess would be that the bat just
did a jink, and disappeared from sight - while several birds might
well take bats, it seems a little implausible that they would be able
to catch one on the wing.

I really wish you were right. However the bat has never reappeared. It was a
regular feature in our night-time sky, emerging from the Manse just before
dusk every evening.

No longer.

Old 01-10-2003, 08:09 AM
Malcolm Ogilvie

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Jaques d'Altrades wrote:
[...]

Not all bats are as agile as each other. And Jackdaws are very good
fliers, quite capable of catching bats, just as they also feed on flying
insects of various kinds.

I have certainly seen bats disappear into thin air many times. While
my reactions are good, those of bats are one hell of a lot better!

And the way that they move conflicts with the 'wiring' of our visual
system to make them very hard to see, in a way that doesn't apply to
land mammals and almost all birds. Our visual system has a fairly
high latency, and makes up for that by extrapolating in all sorts of
complicated ways - this makes it possible to follow some very fast
movement, but means that things that move in other ways can simply
vanish from sight.

But on this occasion a perfectly reasonable reason, in the form of two
Jackdaws, was present to aid the disappearance from sight!

--
Malcolm Ogilvie
Old 01-10-2003, 08:09 AM
Malcolm Ogilvie

In article , BAC
writes

Nocturnal migrating passerines have been proven (using radar and also faecal
pellet examination) to fall victim to 'on the wing' predation by the greater
noctule bat, in Spain. Apart from that, I understand such 'conflicts' are
considered rare.

But that's the other way round. The question was about birds catching
bats.

--
Malcolm Ogilvie
Old 01-10-2003, 09:42 AM
BAC

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

Nocturnal migrating passerines have been proven (using radar and also

faecal
pellet examination) to fall victim to 'on the wing' predation by the

greater
noctule bat, in Spain. Apart from that, I understand such 'conflicts'

are
considered rare.

A touch of snipping here and there would be appreciated....

A touch of forebearance before presuming to jump in and criticise others'
posting styles would be appreciated, too. I 'snip' when and how I think it
appropriate, thanks.

blackbirds or jackdaws Kate Morgan United Kingdom 8 21-05-2009 01:52 PM
Jackdaws Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 7 02-03-2008 04:18 PM
Jackdaws! Sacha United Kingdom 5 03-03-2007 12:02 PM
Jackdaws to Buzzards Kate Morgan United Kingdom 20 29-11-2005 11:40 AM
Going bats! Bathouse questions.... paghat Gardening 12 23-02-2003 04:27 PM