Old 10-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Gardening_Convert

Default too late for Garlic

I have some Marco Topsize bulbs which I bought to plant but have been
'under order' from the wife to get the tiling done in the Kitchen which
has kept me busy for the last 3 weekends.

Is it too late to plant these Garlic bulbs as it predomently wet at the
mo.

I live in Berkshire down South (UK )

Cheers

Colin

Old 10-11-2005, 03:31 PM
La puce

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I have some Marco Topsize bulbs which I bought to plant but have been
'under order' from the wife to get the tiling done in the Kitchen which
has kept me busy for the last 3 weekends.
Is it too late to plant these Garlic bulbs as it predomently wet at the
mo.

Well, this rain must stop eventually. Will it ever!?! Indeed they'll
rot if you plant them in a really soggy ground. I'll wait till the rain
stop for a couple of days and give myself until end of the month to
plant them because it's been really mild this season. I've already put
mine in. What I'd do too is cover some ground to keep the rain out for
a week and then plant your gloves. Is the Marco pink or white?

Old 10-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Mike Lyle

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I have some Marco Topsize bulbs which I bought to plant but have

been
'under order' from the wife to get the tiling done in the Kitchen
which has kept me busy for the last 3 weekends.

Is it too late to plant these Garlic bulbs as it predomently wet at
the mo.

I live in Berkshire down South (UK )

I'd bung 'em in, and if the variety is suitable for your area and
conditions (I don't know) you should get a crop. I've even read
somewhere that you can plant garlic on the shortest day, but I've no
idea if it's true.

--
Mike.

Old 10-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message .com
from "La puce" contains these words:

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I have some Marco Topsize bulbs which I bought to plant but have been
'under order' from the wife to get the tiling done in the Kitchen which
has kept me busy for the last 3 weekends.
Is it too late to plant these Garlic bulbs as it predomently wet at the
mo.

Well, this rain must stop eventually. Will it ever!?! Indeed they'll
rot if you plant them in a really soggy ground. I'll wait till the rain
stop for a couple of days and give myself until end of the month to
plant them because it's been really mild this season. I've already put
mine in. What I'd do too is cover some ground to keep the rain out for
a week and then plant your gloves. Is the Marco pink or white?

Or plant them in pots and overwinter them in an unheated but light
place, and knock them out of the pots in the spring, and plant the
contents with the bulbs in-situ.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 10-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
Gardening_Convert wrote:

I have some Marco Topsize bulbs which I bought to plant but have

been
'under order' from the wife to get the tiling done in the Kitchen
which has kept me busy for the last 3 weekends.

Is it too late to plant these Garlic bulbs as it predomently wet at
the mo.

I live in Berkshire down South (UK )

I'd bung 'em in, and if the variety is suitable for your area and
conditions (I don't know) you should get a crop. I've even read
somewhere that you can plant garlic on the shortest day, but I've no
idea if it's true.

I've planted garlic in the spring and got a decent-ish crop.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:41 PM
ajr

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have some Marco Topsize bulbs which I bought to plant but have been
'under order' from the wife to get the tiling done in the Kitchen which
has kept me busy for the last 3 weekends.

Is it too late to plant these Garlic bulbs as it predomently wet at the
mo.

I live in Berkshire down South (UK )

Cheers

Colin

Colin,

No idea about your particular variety (Marco Topsize) but for the last few
years I've planted garlic in December: I live by the coast in Somerset, so
it's mild.

This year I planned to plant some bulbs earlier (October) so that some roots
are 'thrown' before it starts to get cold; as it is still mild, and the soil
is sodden, I haven't got around to this!

Anyway, back to your original question, no I don't think it's too late -
just wait for a week or so until the soil has dried out a little bit.

Good luck!

Andrew

Garlic planting -too late? Peter James[_2_] United Kingdom 6 09-04-2007 11:16 AM
How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM