Old 20-11-2005, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
peterlsutton

Default Liatris Spicata

I have taken the threat of a hard winter seriously and dug up some
borderline hardy perennials. In amongst them were some 15 Liatris Spicata.
I dug these up as well - I know they are hardy, but clearing a whole area
makes it easier to plant in spring.

I bought the Liatris in the spring as bare cormbs - but can I winter them
this way. There seem to be lots of tiny buds forming, which I was not
expecting. I could keep them in a cool part of the house at 50 to 60F as I
will my Dahlias, or in the garage which will be very cold. Or should I
replant them now.

I should be grateful for any advice. Peter

Old 22-11-2005, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Hammer

The very best months for planting Liatris in your garden is September and
October, and March and April. However, as long as your soil is frost free,
you could risk planting back in the garden now. As L. spicata prefers
heavier soil than other species in the group, it is a good choice for bog
gardens. After re-planting, mulch with well rotted farmyard manure or leaf
mould as protection from the promised hard winter to come.Finally, don't
forget to mark where you've planted them, I've already hoed up a clump of
daffodils I forgot were there.

John Hammer
---

Old 22-11-2005, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
peterlsutton

Many thanks for your comments John - I did not realise that they liked heavy
soil - they have plenty with my clay. Having just lifted some Dahlias ( for
the first time) I thought Liatris was just another tuber/bulb/corymb and I
could do the same. But I was worried by all litttle shoots. So next day I
potted them up and will keep them in a summer house till spring. The reason
for lifting them was to clear a larger area of border. It is much easier to
replant an empty area without fixed items, even if they are all marked.

"John Hammer" wrote in message
The very best months for planting Liatris in your garden is September and
October, and March and April. However, as long as your soil is frost free,
you could risk planting back in the garden now. As L. spicata prefers
heavier soil than other species in the group, it is a good choice for bog
gardens. After re-planting, mulch with well rotted farmyard manure or leaf
mould as protection from the promised hard winter to come.Finally, don't
forget to mark where you've planted them, I've already hoed up a clump of
daffodils I forgot were there.

John Hammer
---
"peterlsutton" wrote in a message:..
I bought the Liatris in the spring as bare cormbs - but can I winter

them
this way.

Planting Liatris corns. Which side up ?? [email protected] Gardening 3 03-04-2009 12:17 AM
Actaea Spicata (_Bane Berry_) Tina Morris United Kingdom 0 02-06-2008 12:34 AM
liatris spicata rosie United Kingdom 1 26-05-2005 11:22 PM
Advice on germinating liatris ligulistylus MMoniker Gardening 1 07-02-2005 05:17 AM
Liatris - Blazing Star Adrian Jones United Kingdom 9 25-05-2003 03:44 AM