Old 02-04-2009, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Planting Liatris corns. Which side up ??

Planting Liatris corns...... Is there a right side up ??

I've got a bag of Liatris corns.... too many assorted shapes... I can't
for the life of me, figure out any 'proper' way to plant them.

Some have concave bottoms and a small 'knob' of the top.

Others have tiny fibers "old growth" on the concave side
and 'new' tiny fibers "new growth' on the knobby side. I'm thinking
these are new roots. If they are, then there are roots on two
opposing sides... both concave and knobby....

Still others are knobby all over the place. No tops, no bottoms
just knobby.

Any ideas on which end goes 'up' ??

Also, planting depth is 2" - 4". Any preference to shallower
or deeper, or does it not matter.

Thanks in advance...

Peter
Old 02-04-2009, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 2, 10:08*am, wrote:
Planting Liatris corns...... * Is there a right side *up ??

I've got a bag of Liatris corns.... * too many assorted shapes... I can't
for the life of me, figure out any 'proper' way to plant them.

Some have concave bottoms and a small 'knob' of the top.

Others *have tiny fibers "old growth" *on the concave side
and 'new' tiny fibers "new growth' on the knobby side. *I'm thinking
these are new roots. *If they are, *then there are roots on two
opposing sides... *both concave and knobby.... *

Still others are knobby all over the place. *No tops, no bottoms
just knobby.

Any ideas on which end goes 'up' ??

Also, *planting depth is 2" - 4". * Any preference to shallower
or deeper, *or does it not matter.

Thanks in advance...

Peter

easy when you can't tell......plant them on the sides. they will
right themselves as they sprout. I'd soak them for a couple of hours
in warm water before you plant them. I have done this many times when
the top and bottom was hard to discern..........

madgardener gardening in the green bowl in zone 7a Sunset zone 36
Old 02-04-2009, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 2, 10:08*am, wrote:
Planting Liatris corns...... * Is there a right side *up ??

I've got a bag of Liatris corns.... * too many assorted shapes... I can't
for the life of me, figure out any 'proper' way to plant them.

Some have concave bottoms and a small 'knob' of the top.

Others *have tiny fibers "old growth" *on the concave side
and 'new' tiny fibers "new growth' on the knobby side. *I'm thinking
these are new roots. *If they are, *then there are roots on two
opposing sides... *both concave and knobby.... *

Still others are knobby all over the place. *No tops, no bottoms
just knobby.

Any ideas on which end goes 'up' ??

Also, *planting depth is 2" - 4". * Any preference to shallower
or deeper, *or does it not matter.

Thanks in advance...

Peter

Oh, sorry, I forgot, ANYTHING you plant, seed, corm, bulb but not
rhizome (irises) rule of thumb is three times the depth as the size of
the planting object. poppy seed? tiny tiny things, no need to plant
as they're tiny, so you'd scatter them in a sunny place. Liatris
corms, three times would be probably to your middle knuckle once you
measure their size to three times. Elephant ear corms, that would be
about a foot deep for safe planting and returning (except for colder
zones colder than 6b....) Irises, by the way are best planted by
sitting their "toes" (rhizomes) on top of the bed or area you're
planting, burying the roots below the fleshy rhizome part and leaving
the visible rhizome above ground. If you were to bury the iris
rhizomes, they'd barely flower but have nice leaves.

maddie
Old 03-04-2009, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 12:58:38 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Apr 2, 10:08*am, wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much !!! Your post is an excellent piece of advice
well worth remembering !! I could never figure out by looking
at them which side is up.

Thank you again for sharing.... it makes a difference !!

Peter

[IMG] code is On

Asiatic Lily (Corns/Corms?) StephGarden Gardening 5 26-07-2009 11:46 AM
Flowers: side by side mea305 Gardening 1 10-01-2007 02:23 PM
Potatoes with corns David Rance United Kingdom 5 23-08-2006 03:05 PM
Liatris - Blazing Star Adrian Jones United Kingdom 9 25-05-2003 03:44 AM
south side of a solo tree in open field is the best side Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 2 15-05-2003 02:20 PM