Old 21-11-2005, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
middleton.walker

Default Curiosity

On an 'average' year what is the generally accepted time for the earliest
planting of peas....just comparing with mine on Cape Cod which is.....around
mid-March if I pre-germinate or around early to mid April otherwise.....H

Old 21-11-2005, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"middleton.walker" wrote ...
On an 'average' year what is the generally accepted time for the earliest
planting of peas....just comparing with mine on Cape Cod which
is.....around mid-March if I pre-germinate or around early to mid April
otherwise.....H

Looking back on our records we planted our early peas on...

28.02.2002 (Feltham First)
02.03.2003 (Feltham First)
08.03.2004 (Feltham First, Early Onward, Lincoln)
11.04.2005 (Feltham First) (must have been a reason for our lateness ??)

None were pre-germinated just planted straight in the soil.

As you can see we like Feltham First and will be planting them and some
Early Onward again this year.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 21-11-2005, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"middleton.walker" wrote in message
. ..
On an 'average' year what is the generally accepted time for the
earliest planting of peas....just comparing with mine on Cape Cod
which is.....around mid-March if I pre-germinate or around early to
mid April otherwise.....H

That's probably a couple of weeks later than typical UK gardens but
then you catch up because our springs are much more stop-go affairs
than yours.

--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 21-11-2005, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
middleton.walker

"Rod Craddock" wrote in message
"middleton.walker" wrote in message
. ..
On an 'average' year what is the generally accepted time for the earliest
planting of peas....just comparing with mine on Cape Cod which
is.....around mid-March if I pre-germinate or around early to mid April
otherwise.....H

That's probably a couple of weeks later than typical UK gardens but then
you catch up because our springs are much more stop-go affairs than yours.

--
Rod

If only that was true......more often than not not much different than yours
until around the end of May when it starts to warm up....inland it is quite
a bit different....only 60 miles or so inland is all it takes for a warmer
spring.....H