Old 25-11-2005, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bill

Default how hardy is pineapple sage

can any one tell me how hardy a pineapple sage is as i had one given to me
and told its a half hardy perrenial it realy took off when planted outdoors
in the flower bed and grew from 6 inches to nearly 4 feet high and bushed
out nicely in the last month it has been covered in red flowers and added
nice winter colour to the garden but the last frosts has seemed to killed
it.
will it come back next year when the warmth returns and how hard should i
prune it back.
thanks

Old 25-11-2005, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

The message
from "bill" contains these words:

can any one tell me how hardy a pineapple sage is as i had one given to me
and told its a half hardy perrenial it realy took off when planted outdoors
in the flower bed and grew from 6 inches to nearly 4 feet high and bushed
out nicely in the last month it has been covered in red flowers and added
nice winter colour to the garden but the last frosts has seemed to killed
it.
will it come back next year when the warmth returns and how hard should i
prune it back.
thanks

I have been surprised that mine has survived the last three or four
winters outdoors in a fairly exposed condition in South Lincs. I only
left it out because I had another one in the greenhouse and was most
surprised when it returned in spring.

It flowers so late that it would hardly be worth bothering with if it
didn't turn out to be reasonably hardy.
Whether it survives this winter remains to be seen.

janet G
Old 25-11-2005, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay

In article , bill
writes
can any one tell me how hardy a pineapple sage is as i had one given to

me
and told its a half hardy perrenial it realy took off when planted

outdoors
in the flower bed and grew from 6 inches to nearly 4 feet high and

bushed
out nicely in the last month it has been covered in red flowers and

added
nice winter colour to the garden but the last frosts has seemed to

killed
it.
will it come back next year when the warmth returns

Probably not. It's not very hardy, and you wouldn't expect it to survive
a winter outside.

and how hard should i
prune it back.

--
Kay

Old 26-11-2005, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bill

thanks all but i think its too late its brown all over and too late for
cuttings

Old 26-11-2005, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "bill" contains these words:

thanks all but i think its too late its brown all over and too late for
cuttings

Could easily just be the leaves: the stems are a lot harder to kill. It
must be worth a try.

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.

Old 26-11-2005, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains these
words:

The message
from "bill" contains these words:

thanks all but i think its too late its brown all over and too late for
cuttings

Could easily just be the leaves: the stems are a lot harder to kill. It
must be worth a try.

And could still come back next year. It always dies right down in winter.

Janet G
Old 26-11-2005, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

thanks all but i think its too late its brown all over and too late for
cuttings

Could easily just be the leaves: the stems are a lot harder to kill. It
must be worth a try.

And could still come back next year. It always dies right down in winter.

Janet G

I would think it will come back next year, I have pineapple and
blackcurrant sage and they are always fine thro the winter

kate

pineapple sage Raleighgirl North Carolina 4 09-08-2004 01:19 PM
My Pineapple Sage is Blooming!!! Mark Anderson Gardening 12 07-11-2003 09:42 PM
Eucomis Bicolor (Pineapple Lily) hhhouse Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
Pineapple? JNJ Gardening 15 12-04-2003 02:32 AM
Is pineapple a fruit? Ted Shoemaker Gardening 18 14-03-2003 09:56 PM