Old 26-11-2005, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
keith ;-\)

Default What aspect is this?

I have a north facing border in front of my house,obviously this is shaded
from the sun in winter, spring it gets a glimmer of morning sun were there
is a gap between the houses & some late afternoon sun,then as the season
progresses it actually gets full sun by about 1pm when the sun is high in
the west.What plants should be grown here?What aspect is this classed as.
Thanks Keith

Old 26-11-2005, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
keith ;-\) wrote:
I have a north facing border in front of my house,obviously this is shaded
from the sun in winter, spring it gets a glimmer of morning sun were there
is a gap between the houses & some late afternoon sun,then as the season
progresses it actually gets full sun by about 1pm when the sun is high in
the west.What plants should be grown here?What aspect is this classed as.

North west. You can plant most things that are happy with only
indirect light. Avoid the Mediterranean and sub-tropicals that
need as much sun as they can get (e.g. sage, rosemary etc. will
grow, but probably will get leggy and may not flower well). On
acid soils, camellias are ideal.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-11-2005, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

Are you located where you are bothered by late frosts in the spring
freezing the buds on your fruit trees? One method some use here to
overcome that is to plant them on the North side of the house. Apparently
this causes the trees to delay their blooming for one to three weeks and
allowing them to miss the late frost. "Full Sun" is considered to be 6 to 8
hours, as explained in the catalogs I receive.

Dwayne

news

Old 26-11-2005, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Roscoe

"keith ;-)" wrote:
I have a north facing border in front of my house,obviously this is shaded
from the sun in winter, spring it gets a glimmer of morning sun were
there
is a gap between the houses & some late afternoon sun,then as the season
progresses it actually gets full sun by about 1pm when the sun is high in
the west.What plants should be grown here?What aspect is this classed as.

------
Last year, I planted ferns in my small, north facing front garden, which
before then was gravelled over and used as extra car parking space by the
previous house owners. Unlike your garden, my garden only gets full mid
summer sun over half its depth . All the ferns are doing very well indeed,
as is a large ceanothus bush which is under-planted with lilly-of-the-valley
and snowdrops. I also have the dwarf multi stemmed Digitalis 'Primrose
Carousel'' growing happily nearer the house.

Mike Roscoe