Old 02-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Registered User

Default how to decide which aspect??

Hi all. now this may seem like a very basic thing but I am still confused a bit. If you were looking out of my front door a little to the left would be East ( where the sun rises- i know that much) so looking out the back door and onto my garden then i guess that my garden would face North or should it be north west??? To make things worse because of the way the houses are laid out as I look out my back door down the garden the strip on my right also gets the morning East sun for a while which i guess will have effects on buds and things opening when its a bit frsosty and the sun shines on them? So for that part of the garden am i looking for plants with a north aspect east aspect or what? I am a bit confused here. Saying that most of this border gets sun for a lot of the day from what i can recall of the last time we had a summer!
Old 03-03-2006, 01:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"mrs-baggins" wrote in message

Hi all. now this may seem like a very basic thing but I am still
confused a bit. If you were looking out of my front door a little to
the left would be East ( where the sun rises- i know that much) so
looking out the back door and onto my garden then i guess that my
garden would face North or should it be north west??? To make things
worse because of the way the houses are laid out as I look out my back
door down the garden the strip on my right also gets the morning East
sun for a while which i guess will have effects on buds and things
opening when its a bit frsosty and the sun shines on them? So for that
part of the garden am i looking for plants with a north aspect east
aspect or what? I am a bit confused here. Saying that most of this
border gets sun for a lot of the day from what i can recall of the last
time we had a summer!

mrs-baggins

The best way to grasp the orientation of your plot is to have a look at
Google Earth which has a compass on it . Rotating the aerial view will give
a good idea of the aspect.
Magnolia and Camellias are a couple of plants that can end up with tatty
flowers when subject to early morning sun on frosted buds, however, in
general I would not worry too much.