Old 01-12-2005, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Structor liber "flammifer"

This was introduced into our allotments by someone who thought that
it was an interesting plant. Well, it was, initially. But it has
become a noxiously persistent weed. How can I get rid of it?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Nick Maclaren wrote:
This was introduced into our allotments by someone who thought that
it was an interesting plant. Well, it was, initially. But it has
become a noxiously persistent weed. How can I get rid of it?

I have never heard of this plant. What does it look like?

Old 01-12-2005, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

La puce wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
This was introduced into our allotments by someone who thought

that
it was an interesting plant. Well, it was, initially. But it has
become a noxiously persistent weed. How can I get rid of it?

I have never heard of this plant. What does it look like?

It's very variable: medium-tall perennial; colony-forming, often in
large numbers; owes its characteristic coloration to a lack of
chlorophyll; generally pilose, with dense brush-like clusters of
filaments at the top, though this feature is less marked or absent in
many older specimens; fortunately for areas in which it has become an
endemic pest, unable to reproduce vegetatively; frost and drought
tender, but with great powers of recovery; some of the specimens seen
here have exuded a marked foetid odour. Has given rise to bitter
wrangles between neighbours, sometimes ending in the courts. Easily
destroyed with traditional and modern herbicides. Tastes vary, but I
wouldn't have it in my own garden; completely unsuitable as a house
plant. Don't bother with it.

--
Mike.

Old 01-12-2005, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Mike Lyle wrote:
It's very variable: medium-tall perennial; colony-forming, often in
large numbers; owes its characteristic coloration to a lack of
chlorophyll; generally pilose, with dense brush-like clusters of
filaments at the top, though this feature is less marked or absent in
many older specimens; fortunately for areas in which it has become an
endemic pest, unable to reproduce vegetatively; frost and drought
tender, but with great powers of recovery; some of the specimens seen
here have exuded a marked foetid odour. Has given rise to bitter
wrangles between neighbours, sometimes ending in the courts. Easily
destroyed with traditional and modern herbicides. Tastes vary, but I
wouldn't have it in my own garden; completely unsuitable as a house
plant. Don't bother with it.

Totally fascinated now. I need a picture. Somebody?! Google brought
nothing. My books brought nothing. How very very strange. Currently
studying weeds too. I need this. I want it!

Old 01-12-2005, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

This was introduced into our allotments by someone who thought that
it was an interesting plant. Well, it was, initially. But it has
become a noxiously persistent weed. How can I get rid of it?

You have some "flaming" builders offspring running riot in/on your
allotment?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 01-12-2005, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote

This was introduced into our allotments by someone who thought

that
it was an interesting plant. Well, it was, initially. But it has
become a noxiously persistent weed. How can I get rid of it?

You have some "flaming" builders offspring running riot in/on your
allotment?

A learned pun, merhercle! Things are getting posh round this
toolshed: give me a moment to put a tie on.

--
Mike.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
La puce wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
[...]

Just don't touch it, seeds shed instantly and it'll be all over the
place in no time. Apply the chosen weedkiller at once.
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 02-12-2005, 01:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

La puce wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
[...]

This is new to me. Is it normally initially grown as an ornamental
and/or house plant? It's odd that there seems to be absolutely no
reference to it on Google. Any suggestions as to why it doesn't exist as
far as Google is concerned - or any reference book that I have to hand?

Janet G
Old 02-12-2005, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Janet Galpin wrote:
This is new to me. Is it normally initially grown as an ornamental
and/or house plant? It's odd that there seems to be absolutely no
reference to it on Google. Any suggestions as to why it doesn't exist as
far as Google is concerned - or any reference book that I have to hand?

Ditto. Bob's 'flaming offsprings' is as close as I got to. I'm being
held on tender hooks. Can't wait this evening for a thorough search on
this misterious plant.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article . com, "La puce" writes:

| Janet Galpin wrote:
| This is new to me. Is it normally initially grown as an ornamental
| and/or house plant? It's odd that there seems to be absolutely no
| reference to it on Google. Any suggestions as to why it doesn't exist as
| far as Google is concerned - or any reference book that I have to hand?
|
| Ditto. Bob's 'flaming offsprings' is as close as I got to. I'm being
| held on tender hooks. Can't wait this evening for a thorough search on
| this misterious plant.

Boggle. Given the number of people who are genuinely confused,
perhaps I should clarify.

Structor = builder, mason, etc.
Liber = free
Flammifer = flame bearer

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 2/12/05 10:31 am, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article . com, "La puce"
writes:

| Janet Galpin wrote:
| This is new to me. Is it normally initially grown as an ornamental
| and/or house plant? It's odd that there seems to be absolutely no
| reference to it on Google. Any suggestions as to why it doesn't exist as
| far as Google is concerned - or any reference book that I have to hand?
|
| Ditto. Bob's 'flaming offsprings' is as close as I got to. I'm being
| held on tender hooks. Can't wait this evening for a thorough search on
| this misterious plant.

Boggle. Given the number of people who are genuinely confused,
perhaps I should clarify.

Structor = builder, mason, etc.
Liber = free
Flammifer = flame bearer

I thought it very good and particularly liked Mike's description of the
pilosity and lack of chlorophyll. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-12-2005, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
On 2/12/05 10:31 am, in article ,
"Nick Maclaren" wrote:

In article . com,
"La puce" writes:

Janet Galpin wrote:
[...]

Pity to have the gaff blown, really: I was looking forward to more
contributions from urglers' fertile imaginations!

--
Mike.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Mike Lyle wrote:
Pity to have the gaff blown, really: I was looking forward to more
contributions from urglers' fertile imaginations!

LOL!!! Well, I need time, most of the time... But very good, very very
well done to you all.