Old 08-12-2005, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

Default bananas: growing and going

Another option is to dig them up leaving a small manageable amount of dirt
on the root ball, and then cut off all the leaves. Stick the root ball into
a plastic bag and store it inside where it is cool. but not freezing. Then
nest year take it back outside and replant it. I know people who do this
every year.

Dwayne

wrote in message
Hello,

I read that the roots of bananas need to be kept above 16C in winter.
Mine are in the greenhouse but although I have a fan heater, I use
that to keep it above freezing, not at a balmy 16C.

Is this figure of 16C correct? Perhaps a conservatory is better than a
greenhouse; I guess people keep the conservatory warmer. However, that
doesn't help me: I don't have a conservatory (yet)!

Has anyone thought of using soil warming cables to keep the soil that
warm? What temperatures do they reach and how expensive are they to
run? They must be cheaper than a fan heater.

Thanks.