Old 13-12-2005, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Default Of interest to someone :-))

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-crossc...cm dZViewItem

Fascinating bit of history?

Mike

--
..

Old 13-12-2005, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TR

some pub decorator will buy it
after all what use is it in the age of the £30 argos chain saw and the
garden make over program
dont belive me
when was the last time you bought a blade for a felling \logging hand saw
or pruned a tree with one
dave

.

Old 14-12-2005, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Dave wrote
some pub decorator will buy it
after all what use is it in the age of the £30 argos chain saw and the
garden make over program
dont belive me
when was the last time you bought a blade for a felling \logging hand saw
or pruned a tree with one

Last year.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 14-12-2005, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Bob Hobden wrote:
Dave wrote
some pub decorator will buy it
after all what use is it in the age of the £30 argos chain saw

and
the garden make over program
dont belive me
when was the last time you bought a blade for a felling \logging
hand saw or pruned a tree with one

Last year.

Same here. Hand tools are generally a better idea for most gardeners,
as we regularly conclude in urg.

--
Mike.

Old 14-12-2005, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Mike Lyle wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
Dave wrote
when was the last time you bought a blade for a felling \logging
hand saw or pruned a tree with one

Last year.

Same here. Hand tools are generally a better idea for most gardeners,
as we regularly conclude in urg.

I occasionally want a scythe. Can they still be bought?

Old 14-12-2005, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Chris Bacon wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
Dave wrote
when was the last time you bought a blade for a felling \logging
hand saw or pruned a tree with one

Last year.

Same here. Hand tools are generally a better idea for most

gardeners,
as we regularly conclude in urg.

I occasionally want a scythe. Can they still be bought?

Yes, they can. Pretty expensive, though!

There may be better places, (maybe try the nearest ACT or farmers'
co-op) but look at
http://tinyurl.com/af3hx

Or, in full:

http://www.gardentoolsforallseasons....ffcea491672 c

But Spear & Jackson's "scythette" is only about 20 quid, and quite
useful.

--
Mike.

Old 14-12-2005, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Mike Lyle wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
Dave wrote
when was the last time you bought a blade for a felling \logging
hand saw or pruned a tree with one

Last year.

Same here. Hand tools are generally a better idea for most gardeners,
as we regularly conclude in urg.

I occasionally want a scythe. Can they still be bought?

Yes same place as secateurs-Lowes or Home Depot. Until it arrives you will
have to snip with your secateurs.
http://www.thescytheshop.co.uk/price%20list.html

Old 14-12-2005, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Rupert wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote in message

[...]
I occasionally want a scythe. Can they still be bought?

Yes same place as secateurs-Lowes or Home Depot. Until it arrives

you
will have to snip with your secateurs.
http://www.thescytheshop.co.uk/price%20list.html

That's a lot cheaper than the one I found (though still quite a bill
for occasional use): worth following up, I'd say. Not the easiest
tool to use, of course.

--
Mike.

Old 14-12-2005, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Mike Lyle wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
Dave wrote
when was the last time you bought a blade for a felling \logging
hand saw or pruned a tree with one

Last year.

Same here. Hand tools are generally a better idea for most gardeners,
as we regularly conclude in urg.

I occasionally want a scythe. Can they still be bought?

There's a 'vintage scythe' up for sale on ebay right now. Suit the Grim
Reaper, by the look of it :-)

Old 15-12-2005, 02:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Dave wrote
some pub decorator will buy it
after all what use is it in the age of the £30 argos chain saw and the
garden make over program
dont belive me
when was the last time you bought a blade for a felling \logging hand saw
or pruned a tree with one

Last year.

Last month.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 15-12-2005, 02:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Mike Lyle wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
Dave wrote
when was the last time you bought a blade for a felling \logging
hand saw or pruned a tree with one

Last year.

Same here. Hand tools are generally a better idea for most gardeners,
as we regularly conclude in urg.

I occasionally want a scythe. Can they still be bought?

Yes, but unfortunately, not every hardware shop has them. They tend to
come with a steel snathe these days.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 15-12-2005, 02:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Rupert wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote in message

[...]
I occasionally want a scythe. Can they still be bought?

Yes same place as secateurs-Lowes or Home Depot. Until it arrives

you
will have to snip with your secateurs.
http://www.thescytheshop.co.uk/price%20list.html

That's a lot cheaper than the one I found (though still quite a bill
for occasional use): worth following up, I'd say. Not the easiest
tool to use, of course.

I was taught to use one by the school gardener when I was thirteen.
Perry, (for it was he) used to cut the town's bowling green with a
scythe, and wouldn't let a mower near it.

Some years ago I cut a five acre field of grass for hay, and later in
the year, a seven acre field of barley with a scythe, bound the sheathes
by hand, shucked it, threshed it with a flail and then turned it to
coarse meal for the goats in a hammer mill. Built a straw stack and
thatched it with - er - a sheet of polythene...

That year I just couldn't afford even the red diesel to run my Power Major...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig