Old 16-12-2005, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR

Default The Birds are back

Hi,

Very early this morning a robin appeared, followed by some sparrows, but no
sign of blackbird as yet!
It's quite windy here today still ( high wind speeds of 30 mph ) BUT
sunny... (flare on webcam)
The birds are not using the feeders as they are being blown about in the
wind, but they are enjoying the broken up
fat ball put out on my lawn/path.
If you look on my WebCam
http://tv.earthcam.com/channel/video.php?channel=823164 to the right of the
feeders you will see our 30' Christmas tree, which the blackbirds perch on
the very top! Over to the left you will just see our hebe which is also used
by all the birds as their initial observation
landing point :-)

Merry Christmas

James & June

--

Regards
James (ukjay)

Garden WebCam Guestbook/Message Portal
http://ukjay.kicks-ass.net/cgi-bin/guestbook.pl

Old 16-12-2005, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
tox

"PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR" wrote in message
Hi,

Very early this morning a robin appeared, followed by some sparrows, but
no sign of blackbird as yet!

Blackbirds adore Sultanas...May I suggest you try Morrisons on Festival
Park, where they are very reasonably priced?

HTH
tox

Old 16-12-2005, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

tox wrote:
"PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR" wrote in message

Hi,

Very early this morning a robin appeared, followed by some sparrows, but
no sign of blackbird as yet!

Blackbirds adore Sultanas...May I suggest you try Morrisons on Festival
Park, where they are very reasonably priced?

HTH
tox

Would soaking them first to get the water back in be a good idea ?

Richard.

Old 16-12-2005, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
tox

"Richard Brooks" wrote in message
try Morrisons on Festival
Park, where they are very reasonably priced?

HTH
tox

Would soaking them first to get the water back in be a good idea ?

In a word no, they'll eat them soaked, however, they seem to prefer them
dry.

BTW, Blackbirds will defend a plate of Sultanas really vigorously.

Be warned though, I was putting out at least half a Kilo per day!

Regards
tox

Old 16-12-2005, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR

"tox" wrote in message

"PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR" wrote in message
Hi,

Very early this morning a robin appeared, followed by some sparrows, but
no sign of blackbird as yet!

Blackbirds adore Sultanas...May I suggest you try Morrisons on Festival
Park, where they are very reasonably priced?

HTH
tox

Yes I will give it a try m8 thanks
(will Tesco's do?)

Old 16-12-2005, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
keith ;-\)

"tox" wrote in message

"PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR" wrote in message
Hi,

Very early this morning a robin appeared, followed by some sparrows,

but
no sign of blackbird as yet!

Blackbirds adore Sultanas...May I suggest you try Morrisons on Festival
Park, where they are very reasonably priced?

HTH
tox

Yes I will give it a try m8 thanks
(will Tesco's do?)

--
Regards
James (ukjay)
http://www.ukjay.co.uk

Garden WebCam Guestbook/Message Portal
http://ukjay.kicks-ass.net/cgi-bin/guestbook.pl

Snip
Yes I will give it a try m8 thanks

(will Tesco's do?)

Are you being seriuos,birds dont know wether they are from tesco,morrisons
or were ever.It doesnt matter they adore dried friut full stop.
Thanks keith

Old 16-12-2005, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
tox

"keith ;-)" wrote in message

Snip
Yes I will give it a try m8 thanks

(will Tesco's do?)

Are you being seriuos,birds dont know wether they are from tesco,morrisons
or were ever.It doesnt matter they adore dried friut full stop.
Thanks keith

Maybe he's closer to Tesco than Morrison? Anyhow, there's only pennies
difference between the stores.

tox

Old 16-12-2005, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell

"tox" wrote in message

"PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR" wrote in message
Hi,

Very early this morning a robin appeared, followed by some sparrows, but
no sign of blackbird as yet!

Blackbirds adore Sultanas...May I suggest you try Morrisons on Festival
Park, where they are very reasonably priced?

I swear by Asda myself! 500g, 1lb sultanas, 41p. 1 kg porridge oats even
less.
Dunnocks love porridge oats.
I load my birdtable with sultanas, porridge oats, canary mix, budgie mix,
sunflower hearts and both black and striped sunflower seeds. It seems very
successful. The whole table is cleared every day. Full peanut feeders last
3 or 4 days.

Tina

Old 16-12-2005, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"tox" wrote in message

"PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR" wrote in message
Hi,

Very early this morning a robin appeared, followed by some sparrows, but
no sign of blackbird as yet!

Blackbirds adore Sultanas...May I suggest you try Morrisons on Festival
Park, where they are very reasonably priced?

I swear by Asda myself! 500g, 1lb sultanas, 41p. 1 kg porridge oats even
less.
Dunnocks love porridge oats.
I load my birdtable with sultanas, porridge oats, canary mix, budgie mix,
sunflower hearts and both black and striped sunflower seeds. It seems
very successful. The whole table is cleared every day. Full peanut
feeders last 3 or 4 days.

Tina

I love all that lot too. Do I really have to dress up as a Golden eagle to
get a mouthful?

Old 16-12-2005, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell

"tox" wrote in message

"PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR" wrote in message
Hi,

Very early this morning a robin appeared, followed by some sparrows,
but no sign of blackbird as yet!

Blackbirds adore Sultanas...May I suggest you try Morrisons on Festival
Park, where they are very reasonably priced?

I swear by Asda myself! 500g, 1lb sultanas, 41p. 1 kg porridge oats
even less.
Dunnocks love porridge oats.
I load my birdtable with sultanas, porridge oats, canary mix, budgie mix,
sunflower hearts and both black and striped sunflower seeds. It seems
very successful. The whole table is cleared every day. Full peanut
feeders last 3 or 4 days.

Tina

I love all that lot too. Do I really have to dress up as a Golden eagle to
get a mouthful?

Sorry, you've lost me here/ I haven't a clue what you're on about.

Tina

Old 16-12-2005, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Terry Harper

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:09:42 +0000 (UTC), Richard Brooks
wrote:

tox wrote:

Blackbirds adore Sultanas...May I suggest you try Morrisons on Festival
Park, where they are very reasonably priced?

Would soaking them first to get the water back in be a good idea ?

I'm told that soaking them in brandy is a good way to catch pheasants
for the pot. After a good repast, they tend to fall down asleep.
--
Terry Harper
Old 16-12-2005, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

tox wrote:
"Richard Brooks" wrote in message
try Morrisons on Festival

Park, where they are very reasonably priced?

HTH
tox

Would soaking them first to get the water back in be a good idea ?

In a word no, they'll eat them soaked, however, they seem to prefer them
dry.

Strange that as I've sokaed them in Ben Nevis whiskey and they seem to
like it! No, just kidding in case the "we're doing this to protect you,
the world and beyond" health and safety directorate can read. Shit!
Need an emoticon as a diclaimer! ;-)

This from a child who pleaded and got to use a sickle at the grand age
of six as his dad stood back and drunk alcohol on his market garden!
Damn, did I say that out aloud ? Feck!

BTW, Blackbirds will defend a plate of Sultanas really vigorously.

Be warned though, I was putting out at least half a Kilo per day!

Regards
tox

That's good information. Last winter I did get over two days, upto
twelve redwings going through the leaf mould like a combine harvester,
tumbling leaves as they marched forward. I was thinking of throwing
some sort of feed in and mixing it in with the leaf mould. What do you
suggest ?

Richard. Now in a children's home.
Old 16-12-2005, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

"tox" wrote in message

"PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR" wrote in message

Hi,

Very early this morning a robin appeared, followed by some sparrows, but
no sign of blackbird as yet!

Blackbirds adore Sultanas...May I suggest you try Morrisons on Festival
Park, where they are very reasonably priced?

I swear by Asda myself! 500g, 1lb sultanas, 41p. 1 kg porridge oats even
less.
Dunnocks love porridge oats.
I load my birdtable with sultanas, porridge oats, canary mix, budgie mix,
sunflower hearts and both black and striped sunflower seeds. It seems
very successful. The whole table is cleared every day. Full peanut
feeders last 3 or 4 days.

Tina

I love all that lot too. Do I really have to dress up as a Golden eagle to
get a mouthful?

Sorry, isn't that what your partner is meant to say just before Christmas ?

Richard.
Old 16-12-2005, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

wrote:

tox wrote:

Blackbirds adore Sultanas...May I suggest you try Morrisons on Festival
Park, where they are very reasonably priced?

Would soaking them first to get the water back in be a good idea ?

I'm told that soaking them in brandy is a good way to catch pheasants
for the pot. After a good repast, they tend to fall down asleep.

But it's the constant stories that's boring and sends me to sleep
especially if I've had something sweet with custard!

I've got a hen pheasant that lives part-time in our back garden and it's
the only back garden in our street where we've had deer, Sparrow-hawk
and just about everything else calling. The mad old lady on our right
hates us as we do not follow the neat lawn and sanitisation that goes
with a garden made for man alone but I say as an Atheist, don't we have
to have a garden for all of God's children (birds, bees and anything
else) and not preen the damned thing just for ourselves ?

Richard. Hey it's warm down here!
Old 17-12-2005, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"tox" wrote in message

[...]

?

Richard.

You dirty batard. Now I know for sure you twitchers are all filthy perverts.
Excellent work--keep *it* up :-P