Old 19-12-2005, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
birdieb

Default iris care in winter

Will there be any gardners around who live at least as South as London?
I bought a few days ago 5 iris bulbs from the local plant shop. They
all had started turning yellow but they don't seem to have been
rotting. I am guessing the climate could be similar(maybe a little more
rainy in England) I live near Grenoble in the valley, we have snow but
it usually melts in 2-3 days and the same with the frost, 5-6 times a
winter then relatively warm temperatures (a few degrees above zero
Celsius). Do they usually turn yellow in the winter? I can't afford to
replant them in the garden as I don't have one. All I can hope is to
offer them is a nice, not very deep pot with good soil and plenty of
sun.

Old 19-12-2005, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
birdieb

I forgot to say they are called "dutch iris" but have rhyzomes, not
bulbs.

Old 19-12-2005, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
birdieb

Old 20-12-2005, 02:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

I would put the soil in the pots you mentioned, get the soil wet, and lay
the rhizomes on top of the soil and push them down about 1/2 inch. Then
every 5 to 7 days, add a little water and continue this till spring when you
can transplant them outside. If you get a lot of rain I think you might put
them into a raised bed or raised row. You don't need much, but they will
rot if they stay wet.

Dwayne

oups.com...

Old 20-12-2005, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
birdieb

Thank you very much! The idea with the raised row is great as we do get
a lot of rain. I am feeling a little more confident that they will be
all right.
If you would like, I will send you a baby rhizome of your choice when
they have babies.

Old 21-12-2005, 03:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

I appreciate the offer but I have about 50 iris growing around my house. If
you will post a picture if it in bloom, and if it is a color I don't have, I
would be happy to take it. I live in the U.S. so I don't really expect you
to send me one with the cost of mail.

Dwayne

ups.com...

Old 21-12-2005, 04:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
birdieb

It might be possible for me to send a plant because I have friends who
fligh over to the States frequently. I am not sure though if they won't
have problems at the customs bringing plants in US.

Old 21-12-2005, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

That would be OK, but I wouldnt expect you to put out a lot of money for
postage.

Dwayne

oups.com...