Old 23-12-2005, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Ashby

Default Moving roses to tubs

Hi,

Well I have finally bowed to the wisdom of SWMBO and agreed that in the
revamped front garden the roses that used to adorn the vanished border
don't fit. Not wishing to get rid of them entirely and with a back
garden in need of brightening (concrete paving slabs) I wondered about
moving them into tubs. I moved one to a new place in the front so I know
they can be moved and now would also be a good time.

So:
How big a tub for mature roses (well pruned back in anticipation)?

What mix do people reccomend to fill the tubs with?

I assume they'll need staking initially.

What to feed them with?

TIA
Peter
Dundee

Old 23-12-2005, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 23/12/05 18:15, in article
, "Peter Ashby"
wrote:

Hi,

Well I have finally bowed to the wisdom of SWMBO and agreed that in the
revamped front garden the roses that used to adorn the vanished border
don't fit. Not wishing to get rid of them entirely and with a back
garden in need of brightening (concrete paving slabs) I wondered about
moving them into tubs. I moved one to a new place in the front so I know
they can be moved and now would also be a good time.

So:
How big a tub for mature roses (well pruned back in anticipation)?

What mix do people reccomend to fill the tubs with?

I assume they'll need staking initially.

What to feed them with?

What kind of roses are they? Shrub, patio, hybrid tea? Roses are gross
feeders so that has to be taken into consideration.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 23-12-2005, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Sacha" wrote

What kind of roses are they? Shrub, patio, hybrid tea? Roses are gross
feeders so that has to be taken into consideration.

There was a piece in November's issue of Gardeners' World magazine about a
commercial rose nursery where they've devised a method of growing all types
of roses, even ramblers, in pots and containers. Basically it requires
pruning the main tap root right back, trimming back the top growth to
compensate, taking out weak shoots, and planting in a big container (they
say at least 10 litres) in a soil based compost mix in order to promote
fresh fibrous roots.

The grower has his own secret recipe which you can buy ready bagged, but
the recommended DIY mix was 75 percent John Innes No 3; 5 percent peat; 10
percent horticultural sand; 10 percent horticultural grit; and some slow
release fertiliser. This was said to be enough nutrient for one season
after which you'd feed with more SRF in late March and again in July. To
keep the plant long term in its pot you need to reprune the roots every two
years and repot into fresh compost.

Googling brings this up which I think must have been the basis of the
article:
http://www.robertmattockroses.com/compost.htm

--
Sue

Old 25-12-2005, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Ashby

Sue wrote:

"Sacha" wrote

[...]

Excellent, thanks a lot for this. I feel a trip to the garden centre
coming on, oh and where are my secateurs?

Peter