Old 02-01-2006, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jw 1111

Default watering christmas cactus

Hi, we have a flowing christmas cactusj just inside a south facing window.
buds are dropping off and a friend thinks that is because it is not being
watered enough. Could anyone please advise how to water and how much how
often roughly please?

Old 02-01-2006, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
kenty;\)

"jw 1111" wrote in message
Hi, we have a flowing christmas cactusj just inside a south facing window.
buds are dropping off and a friend thinks that is because it is not being
watered enough. Could anyone please advise how to water and how much how
often roughly please?

There is already a thread with this same question with some answers.Look
lower down for 1/1/06 re christmas cactus!
Thanks Keith

Old 02-01-2006, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"jw 1111" wrote in message

Hi, we have a flowing christmas cactusj just inside a south facing window.
buds are dropping off and a friend thinks that is because it is not being
watered enough. Could anyone please advise how to water and how much how
often roughly please?

Here's a very extensive FAQ on Christmas Cactus.

http://tinyurl.com/cxhdp

for -

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hor.../xmascctus.htm

Where more emphasis is given to watering, in addition to changes in
temperature, as was suggested before. Some of the advice may appear to
conflict, but that's only because the advice and answer in each case
has to be tailored to meet the particular circumstances.

This makes a useful addition maybe to the RHS site -

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...mas_cactus.asp

michael adams

Old 02-01-2006, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"jw 1111" wrote
Hi, we have a flowing christmas cactusj just inside a south facing
window. buds are dropping off and a friend thinks that is because it is
not being watered enough. Could anyone please advise how to water and how
much how often roughly please?

Have you moved the plant? Christmas cactus will often drop flower buds if
it's moved or turned, as the flowers will try and twist back towards the
light.

I water mine about once a week enough to damp the compost, and then leave
'til it seems dryish again. Someone I know managed to drown one I'd grown
for her from a cutting of mine, so even though they are tropical natives,
keeping them -too- damp isn't a good idea. :-)

--
Sue