Old 09-01-2006, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jackie

Default Growing Tomatoes

Hi I have recently moved into a new house that has a 8 x 6 greenhouse in the
garden and want to grow my own tomatoes. What is the correct time for
sowing the seed indoors on the windowsill so I can plant the plants in the
greenhouse. I live in central Scotland. Also would I be better with pots or
growbags as the greenhouse is sitting on slabs, no borders.

The previous owner removed everything from inside although he left the
bubble polythene insulation. Should I leave this on all year or remove it in
the spring. I do not envisage doing anything with the greenhouse for a month
or two. I also have an old electric fan heater that I might use if needed.

I have grown tomatoes before in a polythene lean-to directly in the ground
and used to get the plants from a neighbour but this time I shall have to
grow my own so thought I would try some yellow tomatoes and some cherry
tomatoes any suggestions as to what would grow best in an unheated
greenhouse

Thanks Jackie

Old 09-01-2006, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Draven

"Jackie" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Jackie,
If you've got a fan heater at your disposable then the tomato World is your
oyster.

I always start mine off end of Jan, in a heated, propagator on a windowsill.
So get a one or a heating mat would suffice.

I do the same for chillies and aubergines and I've never had a failure yet.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil Tonks

"Draven" wrote in message
. uk...

"Jackie" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

I've successfully grown tomatoes like this in the past, too. You do need to
make sure that the windowsill you use to start them off gets as much light
as possible, as tomato seedlings are prone to getting 'leggy' (tall and
spindly) if there's not enough light to go with the heat.

If you want to grow a small tomato, then I find 'Gardeners Delight' is still
a good variety. The fruits aren't the very small 'cherry' ones you often
find these days, being a couple of centimetres in diameter, but they are
well flavoured and I find they set well even if the weather conditions
aren't ideal.

Neil.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jackie

"Neil Tonks" wrote in message
"Draven" wrote in message
. uk...

"Jackie" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Hi thanks for the replys but what about the bubble insulation? Leave it on
or take it off?
Jackie

Old 11-01-2006, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Draven

"Jackie" wrote in message
.uk...

"Neil Tonks" wrote in message
"Draven" wrote in message
. uk...

"Jackie" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Ideally I would remove it when things warm up and then replace it in Autumn.
But I know nurseries that leave it on all year round.
It also acts an effective shading.
Make sure you've got adequate ventilation though for the very hot summer
days.

Try chillies as well as they love the heat.