Old 11-01-2006, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default China and potatoes

Why, I wonder, does the rather omnivorous Chinese cuisine typically
not include potatoes? Is it just cultural conservatism? Or that we're
exposed only to Cantonese and Peking cookery? We've been eating rice
for a couple of hundred years, and that has to be imported: they must
have plenty of places where Murphies would do well.

--
Mike.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Mike Lyle wrote:

Why, I wonder, does the rather omnivorous Chinese cuisine typically
not include potatoes? Is it just cultural conservatism? Or that we're
exposed only to Cantonese and Peking cookery? We've been eating rice
for a couple of hundred years, and that has to be imported: they must
have plenty of places where Murphies would do well.

How funny. I've never notice the lack of potatoe recipes in chinese
restaurants or take away, beside the chinese potato shoestring salade.
However China is the world biggest potatoe grower and exporter!

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2...y7467111t0.asp

Old 11-01-2006, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

La Puce wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:

Why, I wonder, does the rather omnivorous Chinese cuisine

typically
not include potatoes? Is it just cultural conservatism? Or that

we're
exposed only to Cantonese and Peking cookery? We've been eating

rice
for a couple of hundred years, and that has to be imported: they

must
have plenty of places where Murphies would do well.

How funny. I've never notice the lack of potatoe recipes in chinese
restaurants or take away, beside the chinese potato shoestring

salade.
However China is the world biggest potatoe grower and exporter!

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2...y7467111t0.asp

Thanks for that link: interesting. I assume, then, that the lack of
recipes in my books and in restaurants I have visited is indeed a
matter of regionalism.

--
Mike.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David D Stretch

Mike Lyle ) wrote (uk.rec.gardening):

Why, I wonder, does the rather omnivorous Chinese cuisine typically
not include potatoes? Is it just cultural conservatism? Or that we're
exposed only to Cantonese and Peking cookery? We've been eating rice
for a couple of hundred years, and that has to be imported: they must
have plenty of places where Murphies would do well.

I spent 2.5 months in China, in a largely agricultural region of Hunan,
from September onwards last year (2005). Potatoes were a very frequent
and popular dish, done in a variety of ways, and they were present in
almost every meal I ate in people's homes, and were often ordered by
others when I ate out with them. I asked and was assured that they were
not just doing this "for me", and that potatoes are quite popular in
China, at least in that region.

--
David D Stretch: Stoke-on-Trent, UK.
Delete DELETE in the above email addresses to email me