Old 16-01-2006, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stevej

Default nerine bowdenii

Hi

I have just got a few of these bulbs, please could somebody advise me about
planting these in northern UK. Such as can I start them in a unheated
greenhouse soon ?

MTIA
Steve

Old 16-01-2006, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Saxman

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:57:34 -0000, stevej wrote:

Hi

I have just got a few of these bulbs, please could somebody advise me about
planting these in northern UK. Such as can I start them in a unheated
greenhouse soon ?

I have loads of them in my garden. You might as well put them straight
into the garden. They are dormant now. They make leaf in the spring and
throughout the summer and flower on long stalks in October/November.

They like a sunny spot and will need dividing every few years.
Old 16-01-2006, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stevej

I have loads of them in my garden. You might as well put them straight
into the garden. They are dormant now. They make leaf in the spring and
throughout the summer and flower on long stalks in October/November.

They like a sunny spot and will need dividing every few years.

OK, are they fully hardy then. ?

Steve

Old 16-01-2006, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Saxman

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:38:26 -0000, stevej wrote:

OK, are they fully hardy then. ?

Mine are! I never lift them.
Old 16-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Registered User

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxman
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:57:34 -0000, stevej wrote:

Hi

I have just got a few of these bulbs, please could somebody advise me about
planting these in northern UK. Such as can I start them in a unheated
greenhouse soon ?

I have loads of them in my garden. You might as well put them straight
into the garden. They are dormant now. They make leaf in the spring and
throughout the summer and flower on long stalks in October/November.

They like a sunny spot and will need dividing every few years.
I also have them in my garden (North Nottinghamshire) they do just fine, however, they do not like to be planted to deep, I can see the top of the bulb just above the soil.

Old 16-01-2006, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stevej

No need, they are much hardier than the flowers look. I've seen a
very old plantation which has withstood some seriously cold wet winters
(and neglect) in one of Glasgow's meaner streets .

Plant them in well drained gritty soil in a sunny spot, fairly
shallow with the necks of the bulbs just above ground. Don't be tempted
to cosset them with rich soil and feeding; they seem to thrive and
flower most prolifically when seriously overcrowded and half starved.

Thanks Janet. Now I think about it I am sure I have heard this before that
they will grow with little care, a bit like Nasturtiums ( forgive spelling )

Steve